Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: blackcat Physically Impaired! - 11/15/13 07:39 PM
I got an email stating they are writing DS up as Physically Impaired for an IEP. Yes! What a ridiculous thing to be happy about, but maybe now he can actually get help at school, esp. if we change schools next year. Hopefully if we change districts the new district will accept the results.

They want his pediatrician to verify that he does indeed have Developmental Coordination Disorder which is annoying to me. Why isn't the diagnosis on the neuropsych report enough?
Now am I going to have to pay a $23 co-pay so pediatrician can look at him again and give her own diagnosis? Crazy! She's the one who referred him to the neuropsych!

IEP meeting on Tuesday--I still don't have any of the test results and have no idea what their "plan" is. Supposedly they got a POHI lady from the special ed district (physical and other health impairments) to help them with the evaluation. If anyone remembers, this school had no idea what the special ed categories even were a couple months ago. So we are making progress.
Posted By: KADmom Re: Physically Impaired! - 11/15/13 07:43 PM
Great job advocating, Blackcat!
Posted By: polarbear Re: Physically Impaired! - 11/15/13 07:50 PM
Do you think your ped's office would write a letter stating ds has DCD without you having to come in for another office visit? I'm fairly certain our ped's office would do that in this type of situation.

I know the wording of things such as "physically impaired" sounds surreal or odd at times - but those are just words to describe a situation in the language that the school needs to give accommodations/services etc. It sounds like you're making good progress - yay!

Best wishes,

polarbear
Posted By: blackcat Re: Physically Impaired! - 11/15/13 08:26 PM
I don't know--i will call and check. Our pediatrician probably has hundreds of patients and who knows if she even recalls who DS is! And it's not like he has performed jumping jacks for her. I've just told her he's delayed, he's a klutz, she gave me a referral, end of story.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum