Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 367 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #149845 03/02/13 11:27 AM
    H
    OP Offline
    H
    I'm in the west 'burbs but am curious to know what life is like in other parts. Where are the good public school gifted programs? What's the admission process in the city for CPS magnet schools?

Huckleberry #150330 03/08/13 05:32 PM
    F
    F
    hi... we are in d54. There is a magnet program that starts in 3rd grade. Next year, there will bve a gifted teacher/coach in every school in our district full time (currently its part time in all schools) . WEe have 22 elementary schools in our district). What district are you in?

Huckleberry #150331 03/08/13 05:33 PM
    F
    F
    From our districts website...

Elementary gifted services begin in grade three and continue through grade six. To qualify for elementary gifted services, students in grades two through five are first screened through the MAP test administered in September. Students achieve a score of 95% or above on the reading and math portions of the test. Letters to parents who have children eligible for further testing are sent in November. For these identified students, the Cognitive Abilities Test (CogAT) is administered in January or February. Students are tested on the verbal and nonverbal portions of the CogAT. A minimum standard age score of 126 must be met on one portion and a minimum 120 must be met on the other portion to be eligible for the elementary services. Parents are notified of the results by the end of April. For qualified students, gifted services begin the following school year.

Huckleberry #150340 03/08/13 07:06 PM
    H
    OP Offline
    H
    I'm actually in a district with zero gifted services. Contemplating either moving to a district with programming in place or biting the bullet and going private. Can anybody speak to their personal experiences w/ the area's gifted privates?

Huckleberry #150344 03/08/13 08:17 PM
    F
    F
    I toured Quest Academy last week... and LOVED it. Wish we could afford to send ds there.

Huckleberry #152585 04/03/13 02:55 PM
    K
    K
    I'm in a northern burb with no gifted programming, I actually applied to CPS for next year and we're very likely getting a place at one of the top magnets.

Pretty much all the districts I spoke to said that there would be no guarantee of a space for my current 3rd grader in any gifted program, no matter how good her scores were, and that she may have to wait a year or more before being placed. It was too much of a risk for me to move her to another district that may do nothing more than her current one does for her, which was why I applied to CPS.

The private schools are just not an option for us financially, especially since my 3 year old is showing signs of giftedness too, even though we'd never qualify for financial aid. Quest is really great though, I'd certainly send mine there if I could.

The CPS application process is quite particular. You have to apply during the fall prior to when you want to attend, so 2013-14 applications were submitted last fall. You can apply for up to 6 gifted/classical schools and up to 20 magnets, the kids take a CPS test over the winter down at IIT and then in March they either send you an offer or you sit on the wait list. If you are offered a spot you have to have Chicago residency by a certain date over summer to fully accept the spot. There are very few spots open past K/1st grade however because kids simply don't leave once they're in.

Huckleberry #154338 04/24/13 07:52 AM
    L
    lsc Offline
    L
    kikiandkyle,

Have the magnets at CPS offered acceptances yet? Is there a particular school you are rooting for?

I live in Chicago and my son went through the application process (long ago). If you have a highly or profoundly gifted kid, the magnet schools may still be an awkward fit.

Leslie

Last edited by lsc; 04/24/13 07:53 AM. Reason: oops! wrong name
    Huckleberry #154339 04/24/13 07:58 AM
    L
    lsc Offline
    L
    As far as the private schools, I think Science & Arts Academy does a good job trying to meet the needs of all levels of giftedness.
    http://www.scienceandartsacademy.org/

If you are interested in the Chicago Public School magnet system, this site is very helpful as it walks you through the process, lets you view on a map the school locations, and provides open house dates so you can visit:
    http://cpsmagnet.org/apps/pages/index.jsp?uREC_ID=72695&type=d&termREC_ID=&pREC_ID=151352

Best of luck to all parents who are looking for that "right fit" for your family. It can be brutal at times, and I know that it's something most families of gifted have to revisit on a regular basis.

Leslie

Huckleberry #154522 04/25/13 05:04 PM
    F
    F
    I WISH we could afford the private schools ::sigh ::: Our district wont accelerate subject OR grade. Poor ds has suffered through first grade everyday math this year and will have suffer next year as well. His NWEA spring first grade MAP score... 233!

Huckleberry #154525 04/25/13 05:53 PM
    M
    M
    We are in far northwest suburbs, almost in Wisconsin. While the school district is good overall and has great services for special ed kids and good schools overall, there is only a close to non-existent gifted pull out starting in 3rd grade but it's next to nothing. So if we run into issues in the future, we are considering homeschooling.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM