Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Huckleberry Chicagoland - 03/02/13 06:27 PM
I'm in the west 'burbs but am curious to know what life is like in other parts. Where are the good public school gifted programs? What's the admission process in the city for CPS magnet schools?
Posted By: frannieandejsmom Re: Chicagoland - 03/09/13 12:32 AM
hi... we are in d54. There is a magnet program that starts in 3rd grade. Next year, there will bve a gifted teacher/coach in every school in our district full time (currently its part time in all schools) . WEe have 22 elementary schools in our district). What district are you in?
Posted By: frannieandejsmom Re: Chicagoland - 03/09/13 12:33 AM
From our districts website...

Elementary gifted services begin in grade three and continue through grade six. To qualify for elementary gifted services, students in grades two through five are first screened through the MAP test administered in September. Students achieve a score of 95% or above on the reading and math portions of the test. Letters to parents who have children eligible for further testing are sent in November. For these identified students, the Cognitive Abilities Test (CogAT) is administered in January or February. Students are tested on the verbal and nonverbal portions of the CogAT. A minimum standard age score of 126 must be met on one portion and a minimum 120 must be met on the other portion to be eligible for the elementary services. Parents are notified of the results by the end of April. For qualified students, gifted services begin the following school year.
Posted By: Huckleberry Re: Chicagoland - 03/09/13 02:06 AM
I'm actually in a district with zero gifted services. Contemplating either moving to a district with programming in place or biting the bullet and going private. Can anybody speak to their personal experiences w/ the area's gifted privates?
Posted By: frannieandejsmom Re: Chicagoland - 03/09/13 03:17 AM
I toured Quest Academy last week... and LOVED it. Wish we could afford to send ds there.
Posted By: kikiandkyle Re: Chicagoland - 04/03/13 09:55 PM
I'm in a northern burb with no gifted programming, I actually applied to CPS for next year and we're very likely getting a place at one of the top magnets.

Pretty much all the districts I spoke to said that there would be no guarantee of a space for my current 3rd grader in any gifted program, no matter how good her scores were, and that she may have to wait a year or more before being placed. It was too much of a risk for me to move her to another district that may do nothing more than her current one does for her, which was why I applied to CPS.

The private schools are just not an option for us financially, especially since my 3 year old is showing signs of giftedness too, even though we'd never qualify for financial aid. Quest is really great though, I'd certainly send mine there if I could.

The CPS application process is quite particular. You have to apply during the fall prior to when you want to attend, so 2013-14 applications were submitted last fall. You can apply for up to 6 gifted/classical schools and up to 20 magnets, the kids take a CPS test over the winter down at IIT and then in March they either send you an offer or you sit on the wait list. If you are offered a spot you have to have Chicago residency by a certain date over summer to fully accept the spot. There are very few spots open past K/1st grade however because kids simply don't leave once they're in.
Posted By: lsc Re: Chicagoland - 04/24/13 02:52 PM
kikiandkyle,

Have the magnets at CPS offered acceptances yet? Is there a particular school you are rooting for?

I live in Chicago and my son went through the application process (long ago). If you have a highly or profoundly gifted kid, the magnet schools may still be an awkward fit.

Leslie
Posted By: lsc Re: Chicagoland - 04/24/13 02:58 PM
As far as the private schools, I think Science & Arts Academy does a good job trying to meet the needs of all levels of giftedness.
http://www.scienceandartsacademy.org/

If you are interested in the Chicago Public School magnet system, this site is very helpful as it walks you through the process, lets you view on a map the school locations, and provides open house dates so you can visit:
http://cpsmagnet.org/apps/pages/index.jsp?uREC_ID=72695&type=d&termREC_ID=&pREC_ID=151352

Best of luck to all parents who are looking for that "right fit" for your family. It can be brutal at times, and I know that it's something most families of gifted have to revisit on a regular basis.

Leslie
Posted By: frannieandejsmom Re: Chicagoland - 04/26/13 12:04 AM
I WISH we could afford the private schools ::sigh ::: Our district wont accelerate subject OR grade. Poor ds has suffered through first grade everyday math this year and will have suffer next year as well. His NWEA spring first grade MAP score... 233!
Posted By: Mk13 Re: Chicagoland - 04/26/13 12:53 AM
We are in far northwest suburbs, almost in Wisconsin. While the school district is good overall and has great services for special ed kids and good schools overall, there is only a close to non-existent gifted pull out starting in 3rd grade but it's next to nothing. So if we run into issues in the future, we are considering homeschooling.
Posted By: kikiandkyle Re: Chicagoland - 05/01/13 02:03 AM
Lsc, the offers went out towards the end of March, and a second round of letters has gone out too. We are top of the wait list for one school but it looks like we'll be moving out of state over the summer now anyway...
Posted By: pmehro Re: Chicagoland - 05/11/13 02:09 PM
Hi kikiandkyle
I was wondering is it possible to apply to Chicago Public schools while you live in suburbs? I am eager to explore that option so that way if my son gets into a CPS magnet school I could decide to move.
I thought you need a Chicago address to even apply. I am new to this area. Currently my son goes to district 103 school.

Would someone know about a good gifted program in public school in suburbs? Looking to move so trying to explore options.
Posted By: Jen4103 Re: Chicagoland - 05/13/13 03:03 PM
Hi. Look up district 203 in Naperville. They have some good options in their gifted program. Napverville district 204 has good options for 6th grade & up - particularly if you are looking for a music program.

Just an FYI though, a good percentage of people in Naperville have their kids enrolled in Private school supplement & private tutoring on top of public school. In kindergarten - 2nd grades the gifted and "advanced" students are mixed because of similiar test scores. That gets ironed out by 3rd grade for the most part.
Posted By: cloudpear Re: Chicagoland - 05/20/13 02:48 PM
Caveat: I have not applied to CPS, nor do I have kids currently enrolled. However, I have done a lot of research (including attending open houses at Edison and Bell) into CPS, so might be able to shed some light.

I was wondering is it possible to apply to Chicago Public schools while you live in suburbs? I am eager to explore that option so that way if my son gets into a CPS magnet school I could decide to move.
I thought you need a Chicago address to even apply.

I have been told that you do not need a Chicago address to apply. You do need a Chicago address by the summer before your child would begin the school year. So that would give you about 3ish months between notification and the deadline to move.

Something else to keep in mind is that CPS OAE has told me unequivocally that kids in CPS (including at the gifted schools) are not grade skipped, or accelerated in subjects, ever. I have not confirmed this with anyone else in the system, and I don't know how much pull individual principals might have.

I suspect that the CPS gifted schools are great for the kids who are at the right level of giftedness. However, I agree with Leslie -- given the large class sizes (making it difficult to differentiate within the classroom) and the rigidity of the system, I am concerned about how they do for kids who are HG or PG.

Oh, also, CPS has a strict cut-off date for enrollment. So if you have a kid who has a fall birthday, s/he will be the oldest in his/her class. The only way around this is to enroll your child in a preschool that will allow her/him to be the youngest in his/her class. (Technically a "year ahead" by CPS standards.) Keep him/her there for at least one year of preschool and Kindergarten. Then s/he will be eligible to move into CPS 1st grade directly after Kindergarten.

However. There are only two CPS schools that have a gifted program that starts at 1st grade: Bell and Beaubien. This means if you have more than one child, and only one of them has a fall birthday, they will not be going to the same school. It also means your child will be competing for fewer spaces (though I don't know the number of kids who apply for 1st grade).

I have also heard good things about Science and Arts.

We have also considered moving to District 97 and have spoken with a couple of the principals. I was impressed when one of the principals volunteered (unsolicited) that sometimes they have kids who are in Kindergarten going into 2nd grade classrooms for particular subjects. They also have a gifted program for older kids, but I don't know anything about it.

Hope this is helpful for folks!
Posted By: HappilyMom Re: Chicagoland - 06/09/13 03:56 AM
Originally Posted by cloudpear
I have also heard good things about Science and Arts.

You might want to check the credentials of the faculty at any private school you consider. I found a dozen of the teachers at Science and Arts are not listed as having current teaching credentials in IL. For IL you can check by name here: https://sec1.isbe.net/ecs/aspapps/teachersearch.asp

Their "social worker" is also uncertified. You can verify this here with her name: https://www.idfpr.com/LicenseLookUp/LicenseLookup.asp

It is so important not to just take someone else's word. You must research the truth for yourself. They are out there "selling" their school and buyers must beware of what they are really getting.
Posted By: HappilyMom Re: Chicagoland - 06/09/13 07:12 PM
The edit button seems to be missing. I had a typo above. The SW is unlicensed not uncertified.
Posted By: pmehro Re: Chicagoland - 06/11/13 01:06 AM
Thanks for the insight! I have been in Chicago suburbs for an year. My kid is right now in 3rd grade and is going to go into grade 4 in fall. His MAP score has always been 99% in Math. But I think the current school does not have a separate gifted program. I had heard great things about gifted education programs in the Chicago Public School system but at this point I can try to get him into 5th grade (since Dec 2012 was deadline for school session starting in Fall 2013).I think kids stand a good chance to get in to kindergarten when several students are admitted so his chances to get into grade 5 are pretty slim. Meanwhile could someone suggest a Chicago suburban school system that offers a challenging program? Also if you could suggest any challenging summer program, I would be obliged.

Thanks a million
Posted By: Keerby Re: Chicagoland - 06/12/13 11:41 PM
I'm no expert on teacher credentials but Science and Arts' website says it considers teachers with Illinois or national-level certification.
If that link is to a database exclusive to Illinois it might miss those teachers.
Posted By: Huckleberry Re: Chicagoland - 02/26/14 05:28 PM
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum