I'm in a northern burb with no gifted programming, I actually applied to CPS for next year and we're very likely getting a place at one of the top magnets.

Pretty much all the districts I spoke to said that there would be no guarantee of a space for my current 3rd grader in any gifted program, no matter how good her scores were, and that she may have to wait a year or more before being placed. It was too much of a risk for me to move her to another district that may do nothing more than her current one does for her, which was why I applied to CPS.

The private schools are just not an option for us financially, especially since my 3 year old is showing signs of giftedness too, even though we'd never qualify for financial aid. Quest is really great though, I'd certainly send mine there if I could.

The CPS application process is quite particular. You have to apply during the fall prior to when you want to attend, so 2013-14 applications were submitted last fall. You can apply for up to 6 gifted/classical schools and up to 20 magnets, the kids take a CPS test over the winter down at IIT and then in March they either send you an offer or you sit on the wait list. If you are offered a spot you have to have Chicago residency by a certain date over summer to fully accept the spot. There are very few spots open past K/1st grade however because kids simply don't leave once they're in.