Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 270 guests, and 22 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    ABQMom #146730 01/21/13 01:56 PM
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by ABQMom
    Originally Posted by aquinas
    If I can summarize my philosophy around screen time-- for adults and children-- it's deliberate consumption. If we watch something, I want it to be because we love the content. There are many shows and films with cultural, comedic, educational, and artistic value, and I plan to make these available to my son when age-appropriate.

One of the reasons I LOVE watching Downton Abbey on the PBS iPad app - you cannot multitask and keep up. It requires full attention.

I'm going to tuck that recommendation away somewhere safe. smile

What is to give light must endure burning.
    Michaela #146731 01/21/13 01:56 PM
    M
    M
    My kids enjoy certain shows on the documentary channels, the game show types and the kids channels too. While we have busy days each day, they do get screen time each day (The older 2 4 and 6) and can choose how they spend it. They never choose TV, rather computer time or leappads. Dylan who is 2 will watch the occasional show (he loves watching sport with dad or Mickey mouse clubhouse), but usually runs away to do something else.

On a saturday morning they all watch for about 40 minutes together. I don't have rules per se, but when its enough I suggest they switch off and go do something else. We don't really have issues with it because there are so many other fun things to do. Although my 6 year old cannot walk past if its on and NOT look.

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)
    ColinsMum #146732 01/21/13 01:59 PM
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by ColinsMum
    We don't have a TV. [...]Our son is only 15 months old, so we still have yet to reach an age where pop culture is social currency. I can see us watching live sporting events as a family as he gets older, introducing a classic cartoon or two, and expanding into more educational programming as his maturity allows.
    I could have written this whole post when our son was that age, changing a few of the titles/genres (I'm British so we don't have britcom :-) We thought there might come a time when we needed to get a TV so that DS-now-9 wouldn't be left out, but it hasn't been an issue and he doesn't want one. There's always YouTube if he wants to have a quick look to see what someone's talking about. We have quite a DVD collection now and e.g. he and DH have started a habit of sitting down together to watch a Dastardly and Muttley episode at the weekend. ("You look after his maths, I'll look after his cultural education"!)

When DS was younger he used to loooove certain children's DVDs and we used to limit by having certain times of day when watching was an option and others when it wasn't. These days, it's computer screen time that needs limiting, but it's never felt difficult to negotiate (yet, I should say...)

Love your husband's cheekiness! I can see screen time being the bigger constraint down the road. Frankly, with the Internet, TV is dead.

Bostonian #146734 01/21/13 02:09 PM
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    I can't imagine keeping him away from the great satire of the early Simpsons, Monty Python, Yes Minister, and Fawlty Towers. Ditto for favourite movies.

Your children will want to decide for themselves what is worth watching and will resist too much parental interference. My kids think "Call Me Maybe" and "Gangnam Style" are great songs. In the car they listen to Crosby Stills, and Nash and like it.

Maybe so, but that statement could be true of anything, TV or otherwise. (I suppose that's my punishment for having terrible taste in music as a teen!) As I see it, we are responsible for editing the choices available to our children in an age-appropriate way that respects their individuality. Then they are free to make good choices.

Incidentally, it was my father who introduced me to Gagnam Style! That tells you what kind of pop culture maven I am.

Michaela #146744 01/21/13 04:39 PM
    B
    B
    Admit to electronic babysitting early on to give me a break! Had a neighbor long before I had a child who I distinctly remember saying she begged her one boy to watch t.v. while she tried to make dinner, to avoid him re-wiring the electricity in the house... again...didn't really understand until DD came along.

PBS Kids is great and DD still wants to watch on days off and sick days. I love Marth Speaks!

I'd add to the feedback about knowing mainstream things to be able to talk to other kids about stuff going on. We haven't had cable in about 7 years, but Sat. morning cartoons are just fine and you get all the commercials for what is being pushed also...

Netflix, library loans, and watching cable non-stop when at hotels, as well as reading whatever is most consumed at the moment in different grades - as a suplement to science non-fiction and children's classics. We always try to see the popular movies when they come out (though sensitive hearing and AHDH tendencies delayed the age of sitting through movies at the theatre we're catching up)

Michaela #146745 01/21/13 04:43 PM
    B
    B
    p.s. I used to be into sheltering when DD was <5 but if they go to school it's better to take the attitude of allowing some exposure while developing a diaglog about what's in the culture and instilling your values, if they differ...for playdates and more time spent away at other's houses I am still picky about her close friends but in general the "dealing with it" philosophy has helped alot (me as well as her I think)

Michaela #146746 01/21/13 04:43 PM
    OP Offline
    We do only netflix, we have a specific no-broadcast rule, because of all the breaks in broadcast, and the difficulty in watching one episode from the beginning (hard to sit down at the exact right moment)

Interesting, thanks, guys!

DS1: Hon, you already finished your homework
    DS2: Quit it with the protesting already!
    Michaela #146772 01/22/13 10:40 AM
    U
    U
    The kids are basically at zero TV per week these days. Every so often, we do a movie. They are allowed an hour or two of computer time a week--sometimes more if need be. DS was watching 3-5 hours per week from age 2 to this year, but now he's in preschool daily and I don't need him to anymore. (It was so I could work.)

I regard screen time as a babysitter that can be useful and fun in small doses. I don't think it's really educational, and research generally backs me up, although there's a lot we don't know about computer screen time (vs. TV). There is a lot of data showing that in excess, screentime displaces other activities that are far more valuable to children. The average amount of DAILY screen time for children 7 and over is something like 9 hours.

Michaela #146784 01/22/13 11:55 AM
    S
    S
    I have a situation where my kids don't like watching tv. I don't mind if they do but mostly my older one dislikes it so my younger one is used to it not being on. Personally I hate the TV on for background noise.

A few of my in laws constantly put the tv on for the kids when cousins are over playing. It goes unwatched mostly because they are playing together, so why add the extra noise?

More deficit problems can be found with that multi tasking approach. I think kids need to learn how to moderate themselves. When it's time to watch... Watch then turn it off. My son does love video games, but often times if he is playing mine craft I will find he left the game on pause and ran into the other room to start building with Legos. When he does that I save then turn off the game.

Last edited by stotte; 01/22/13 11:57 AM.
    Michaela #146787 01/22/13 12:01 PM
    S
    S
    We only do Netflix as well. My kids once watched Sat morning cartoons and got all upset when a commercial cane on thinking I had changed the channel! I laughed realizing they had never seen one. A week later at Walmart my daughter asked for these slippers she saw on this commercials. She had passed by them tons of times before never glancing at them. I was surprised how seeing the commercial once attracted her attention to them so much.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM