Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 455 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    A
    ABQMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Over the course of the past couple of weeks, I've had several interactions with my 7th grader's Special Ed Principal and the Special Ed Chairperson (http://giftedissues.davidsongifted.org/BB/ubbthreads.php/topics/140814/1.html). As a suggested change to solving my son's forgetfulness - and as a way to circumvent his using an iPad Mini or iPad in class for the calendar and reminders - an educational assistant was assigned to watch over him during science only.

He missed school one day last week, and as of two days ago, he still had a zero for an assignment in science.

I emailed the Special Ed Chair letting her know about the zero and asking about the procedures for the EA as I was not a part of the decision to put the person in the class. I received an email yesterday letting me know the EA would be checking daily with the teacher and would be pulling my son out twice a week to work with him in the library on vocabulary. This happened yesterday, and my son missed the class reading together on a new section from the book.

I did not agree to have him pulled out for vocab, and he hasn't had a problem with remembering the words' meanings - only their spelling. And no amount of EA intervention is likely to improve his spelling if several years of speech therapy, Wilson Reading, OT, and home tutoring haven't made a significant dent in his spelling retention.

So here is my question - can the school just implement new rules and pull him out of classes on his IEP without my permission or input? I'm to the point I think I need to involve the school's principal, but I thought I'd see if any of you have had to deal with this type of situation and what you learned.

On a good note, I discovered that our district now has a Twice Exceptional Coordinator. I contacted her by email and asked if it is possible to have my son considered for classification as Twice Exceptional despite his not having an IQ score that is high enough. She did a review of his file and said that he is a likely candidate due to the severity of his LD's and that she will begin a full file review and set up a meeting - which could take several weeks or months. But at least it is a light at the end of the tunnel.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by ABQMom
    an educational assistant was assigned to watch over him during science only....
    I received an email yesterday letting me know the EA would be checking daily with the teacher and would be pulling my son out twice a week to work with him in the library on vocabulary. ... So here is my question - can the school just implement new rules and pull him out of classes on his IEP without my permission or input?

No. The newer IEP forms are very strict about where services are to be delivered (in the regular classroom vs. as pullout) and the school staff are supposed to adhere strictly to what was agreed to by the team.

I'm to the point I think I need to involve the school's principal

Seems likely. You can just say nicely the reasons why you think the pullout is appropriate and seek to clarify together as a team what the EA's tasks are. If need be you can call a new IEP meeting.

aOn a good note, I discovered that our district now has a Twice Exceptional Coordinator.

THAT is remarkable. Glad you'll have someone who can help you advocate!
    DeeDee

So here is my question - can the school just implement new rules and pull him out of classes on his IEP without my permission or input? I'm to the point I think I need to involve the school's principal, but I thought I'd see if any of you have had to deal with this type of situation and what you learned.

Agree with the above post-- this sounds like a de facto change in placement to me.

I'd express "concern" that this might be misconstrued as an unauthorized change in placement, since it occurred without any team input.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    A
    ABQMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Thanks.

We have a short conference tomorrow (entire school has them, so not Sp Ed related), so I will ask then about why the change was made and why I wasn't part of the decision process. Already dreading it after the tempest in a teapot we went through last week with this same teacher. frown

E
    E
    Being pulled out of the classroom for 1:1 or small group vs being given assistive technology which would allow him to remain in the classroom? And without your input in an official IEP meeting? This is a pretty clear violation of Least Restrictive Environment, IMO/E.

"I love it when you two impersonate earthlings."
    A
    ABQMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    This is exactly my feelings, eldertree - except the words didn't come nearly as clearly as you've stated. Thanks!

P
    P
    ABQ I think you need to call an IEP meeting. There's been too much confusion and misinterpretation lately. I think gathering everyone together to discuss calmly and get all on the same page may be your best bet here. And I would ask the 2E coordinator to attend as well...

A
    ABQMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Pemberley, I'm sure you're right on all counts, but I'm hoping to bandaid through this enough to not have to ask for an IEP meeting until I've been able to meet with the Twice Exceptional Coordinator. I'd like to find out where she is landing on some of the issues before I ask her to attend. If she turns out to not be an ally, it might be worse having her there than not. But if she turns out to be an ally, it might make all the difference in the world about what comes out of the IEP.

Oh, some days it is just so exhausting to push pushing uphill, isn't it? Today is one of those where I just wonder if it is really worth it. Tomorrow I'm sure I'll be back in the saddle tilting at windmills, but today I'm bone weary.

P
    P
    I'm right there with you today sister... Some days it just seems to get to you doesn't it?

A
    ABQMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by Pemberley
    I'm right there with you today sister... Some days it just seems to get to you doesn't it?
    indeed!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:25 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:14 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...