Over the course of the past couple of weeks, I've had several interactions with my 7th grader's Special Ed Principal and the Special Ed Chairperson (http://giftedissues.davidsongifted.org/BB/ubbthreads.php/topics/140814/1.html). As a suggested change to solving my son's forgetfulness - and as a way to circumvent his using an iPad Mini or iPad in class for the calendar and reminders - an educational assistant was assigned to watch over him during science only.

He missed school one day last week, and as of two days ago, he still had a zero for an assignment in science.

I emailed the Special Ed Chair letting her know about the zero and asking about the procedures for the EA as I was not a part of the decision to put the person in the class. I received an email yesterday letting me know the EA would be checking daily with the teacher and would be pulling my son out twice a week to work with him in the library on vocabulary. This happened yesterday, and my son missed the class reading together on a new section from the book.

I did not agree to have him pulled out for vocab, and he hasn't had a problem with remembering the words' meanings - only their spelling. And no amount of EA intervention is likely to improve his spelling if several years of speech therapy, Wilson Reading, OT, and home tutoring haven't made a significant dent in his spelling retention.

So here is my question - can the school just implement new rules and pull him out of classes on his IEP without my permission or input? I'm to the point I think I need to involve the school's principal, but I thought I'd see if any of you have had to deal with this type of situation and what you learned.

On a good note, I discovered that our district now has a Twice Exceptional Coordinator. I contacted her by email and asked if it is possible to have my son considered for classification as Twice Exceptional despite his not having an IQ score that is high enough. She did a review of his file and said that he is a likely candidate due to the severity of his LD's and that she will begin a full file review and set up a meeting - which could take several weeks or months. But at least it is a light at the end of the tunnel.