Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 315 guests, and 40 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    U
    U
    I hate guns, but I wouldn't worry about this. I don't know. I live in an area of the country where guns are common. DS's school is near a pawn shop. I'm sure it sells guns. I've never given it a thought.

(My personal bugaboos involve my kids and cars or water.)

Last edited by ultramarina; 09/09/12 05:28 PM.
    The risk that a psychopath would purchase a gun and take it next door to shoot up a school, just because it happened to be in close proximity, is insignificant. In fact, I can't find a news article on such an event happening, ever. Schools do sometimes become targets for criminals, but not so much random targets. I understand fear of guns, but since they're nearly omnipresent in American society, I think avoiding a school on the basis of a nearby legit gun store would be irrational.

What you should be concerned with, if you're worried about guns, is whether a school has a good emergency plan in place, whether your child knows what to do in an emergency, and whether he knows what to do if he's around a gun.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    D
    D
    I often joked that I would consider myself a failure as a father if my children could not field-strip their weapons *blind-folded* by the age of six.

Thankfully, my better judgement prevailed... and I removed the blind-fold requirement. (Don't want to scare the townfolk, you know.)

Seriously, though, and without taking the bait, I think you should spend some time reading about background of violence in schools, and be sure to include the Secret Service's "Safe School's Initiative" 2002 report, as it makes for some interesting reading:
    http://www.secretservice.gov/ntac/ssi_final_report.pdf

Bottom line: I would be more concerned about the school's handling of bullying than what's on sale at the local Big 5.

Being offended is a natural consequence of leaving the house. - Fran Lebowitz
    epoh #137791 09/11/12 04:05 PM
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by epoh
    I'm sorry, I don't exactly understand? What is it you are afraid of? The guns coming to life and flying out the shop and into the school? Groups of sociopaths buying guns and deciding to shoot the first thing they see?

A gun shop is probably just about the safest business you could possibly operate. No one in their right mind is going to attempt to rob it. Criminals can't buy anything in them, so why would they be there? The only people who go into gun stores are law abiding citizens, and the overwhelming majority of them are perfectly sane and will never even fire their gun outside of a gun range.

I agree.

Last edited by donnapt; 09/11/12 04:05 PM.
    Val #137794 09/11/12 04:29 PM
    D
    D
    The police would know if they often have trouble with that particular shop. That's all.

Val #137795 09/11/12 04:30 PM
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by Val
    Originally Posted by daytripper75
    Honestly, I would put in a call to the local police and ask them about the shop.

Why would you call the police about a business that has a legal right to operate? What would you expect them to do?

I would ask them if they have trouble with that shop or its customers. They would know best if it were a dangerous spot.

Originally Posted by daytripper75
    I would ask them if they have trouble with that shop or its customers. They would know best if it were a dangerous spot.

LOL.

What would I do?

Drop in and check out what they had for sale!

More than likely the shop is owned by an ex-cop and many of the local LEOs buy stuff there.

And everyone who buys guns there is either a CHL holder with an extensive background check or has gone through a FBI background check. A very dangerous place to be sure.

I trained troops in the Army and trained a lot of people in civilian life. All the people in my classes or the classes I've been to have been great people - doctors, dentists, nurses, lawyers, pastors, priests, moms, teachers, dads, cops, judges, elected officials, military, you name it. These are the kind of people who go to that shop. Awful people for sure.

Personally, I think you are operating from a lack of knowledge about guns, the gun industry, and the people that own guns. Worrying about a gun shop is like worrying about a pharmacy because they sell drugs or a car dealership because they sell getaway cars.

My recommendation would be to take a class or two in firearm safety and firearms use from a good instructor. No doubt that store could help you out. Then you would be more informed than you are now.

B
    B

I came across these articles concerning gun laws about the location of gun stores and gun ranges being allowed/not being allowed close to schools, residential areas etc. Both articles and the comments after the second article contain both points of view. You are definitely not the only one concerned about guns being close to a school.

"In suburbs, gun range and shop expansions near Chicago trigger debate
    City's regulations push enthusiasts out of town, spark safety concerns"
    July 16, 2012|By Jonathan Bullington, Chicago Tribune reporter

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...ange-shooting-range-gun-rights-advocates

Towards the end of this article it discuss a law that bands not only gun ranges but gun stores from a half mile of schools, parks, etc

"Lincolnwood 'Quietly' OKs Firing Range, Gun Shop"

http://skokie.patch.com/articles/li...range-gun-shop-near-schools#pdf-10350880

Some interesting comments arguing both sides of the argument of gun store ranges being close to schools etc.

I'm not sure what I think

Originally Posted by barbarajean
    You are definitely not the only one concerned about guns being close to a school.

"In suburbs, gun range and shop expansions near Chicago trigger debate
    City's regulations push enthusiasts out of town, spark safety concerns"
    July 16, 2012|By Jonathan Bullington, Chicago Tribune reporter

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...ange-shooting-range-gun-rights-advocates

Towards the end of this article it discuss a law that bands not only gun ranges but gun stores from a half mile of schools, parks, etc

"Lincolnwood 'Quietly' OKs Firing Range, Gun Shop"

http://skokie.patch.com/articles/li...range-gun-shop-near-schools#pdf-10350880

Some interesting comments arguing both sides of the argument of gun store ranges being close to schools etc.

I'm not sure what I think

The best arguments are the facts.

The article is from Chicago where most guns are banned. There are virtually no gun shops in Chicago proper yet it has the highest rate of gun crime in the nation. There are dozens of murders every week in the summer.

I'd look for articles in states that actually have lots of guns and are gun friendly. Like Texas or Arizona. You won't find any articles because it is a non-issue in those states.

Originally Posted by Austin
    The best arguments are the facts.

The article is from Chicago where most guns are banned. There are virtually no gun shops in Chicago proper yet it has the highest rate of gun crime in the nation. There are dozens of murders every week in the summer.

I'd look for articles in states that actually have lots of guns and are gun friendly. Like Texas or Arizona. You won't find any articles because it is a non-issue in those states.

You won't find any articles like these...

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/09/28/texas.university.shooting/?hpt=T2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Whitman

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/02/us-usa-shooting-arizona-idUSTRE82108E20120302

http://www.azcentral.com/community/...g-phoenix-middle-school-no-injuries.html

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM