Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 208 guests, and 7 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    I would say that a RIAS of 123 and a K-BIT of 134 is a rather significant spread... and since the RIAS does have a tendency to underestimate, I'd say that result is suspect.

I'd say that the question of whether you should pursue further testing depends on your goals. You already have two tests that identify your child as requiring gifted education services, and the school has agreed to provide them. So if that was the goal, I'd say mission accomplished.

Both tests are of the quick-screening variety, so if there's a reason you might need more data, then I'd push on to the WISC. Reasons might include the school not doing enough for him and using his RIAS score as justification, suspected learning disability, desire to qualify him for DYS, etc.

S
    OP Offline
    S
    Hmmm. You bring up an interesting point. I did waive my right to a special education IEP program yesterday due to his RIAS scores. They said that these services are reserved for the higher scoring individuals that truly need an additional plan (She did not give a specific score range, but I'm assuming she was referring to the HG population). I am OK with this at this point. His teacher was present and she was in agreement that going to the pullout program would be sufficient for him at this time. This is his last year in elementary (4th grade) and he will go to an academic magnet middle next year, so I feel that he will be sufficiently challenged there. He has maintained a straight A average over the last three years, so I do not suspect a learning disability. Processing speed is the only thing that I have been concerned about, due to performance on timed tests, but I do not think it is hindering him enough to be a major issue at this point. He is however entering a new academic magnet middle school next year, so if there were a chance that there was any disability, etc., it would be good to know before we move into the more "rigorous" curriculum. I'm thinking we could cross that bridge when it comes though, so probably no need for the WISC at this time. Thanks for the feedback!

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM