Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 437 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    H
    OP Offline
    H
    I took my son for a neuropsych evaluation around a month and a half ago. He did receive a diagnosis of ADHD-inattentive with executive function issues. (almost 10, grade 4)

The psychologist doing the testing told me that he was an exceptionally smart child, although the IQ scores she shared with me honestly do not seem all that high (FSIQ of 120 isn't even enough to qualify for our county's TAG program although he is already in it). She also said he was pretty much average and above average in most areas; no real issues aside frmo executive function.

To me the scaled scores on the WISC seem all over the place. He scored one 19 which I have read is excelptionally high, but the next highest score is only 19 and there are a bunch of scores in the 10-12 range. Is this kind of distribution typical of all kids? Of kids with executive function issues? I do recall when she described his relatively low ("average") score on block design asking her if it was the kind of test where when it got challenging, he just gave up and she looked at her notes and said, "yeah, that's probably what happened."

I'll just post the scores and see if anyone has any thoughts.

WISC-IV

similarities 14
    vocabulary 16
    comprehension 19 (she said he got full points on this one)

block design 10
    picture concepts 14
    matrix reasoning 11

digit span 13
    letter-number sequence 11
    arithmetic 14

(I think she said she was surprised the by the low letter-number sequence which she described as essentiall doing a dot-to-dot, so she added arithmetic)

coding 9 (he was very slow and methodical and this was timed)
    symbol search 11
    cancellation 12

verbal comprehension 138
    perceptual reasoning 110
    working memory 110
    processing speed 100

full scale 121

WISC- IV integrated

digit span forward: 11
    spatial span forward: 9

Digit span backward: 14
    Spatial span backward: 12

Cancelling Random: 11
    Cancellation Structured: 11

Beery test of visual motor integration:

VMI 91 or 27%ile
    Visual perception 99 or 47%ile

A bunch of other tests. On something called the Children's memory Scale he scored 6 scaled scores for facial recognition which was his only below average score.

A
    A
    You have a large discrepancy (28 points - nearly 2 SD) between the Verbal Comprehension Index at 138 and Perceptual Reasoning at 110 there, large enough that the FSIQ is almost certainly not a valid measure of his intellectual functioning - which is probably why she said you have a very smart child, even though the FSIQ is not dramatic: she may be using the VCI as the most probable accurate measure of his intellectual functioning. The much lower Perceptual score combined with the low VMI score and the poor facial recognition test really makes me think about the possibility of problems with visual processing.

I don't think these scores are typical at all. I'm suprised that the visual. System isn't being. Looked at more closely with future tests. How is your son with visual tasks such as sports art reading or math. ADHD often has comorbidities.
    Best Wishes
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    H
    OP Offline
    H
    Originally Posted by master of none
    I agree with the visual perception question. Is he good at recognizing people/remembering people? (Mine has similar scores and is not)

Also wonder about handwriting and whether he is fast enough and neat enough to keep up with high VCI.

My son is very bad at telling people apart. He's been in the same classroom with the same kids for 2 years for the most part and still doesn't know all of their names when he sees them in outside contexts.

His handwriting is poor, although I've seen worse and it is improving.

He actually likes to draw and is always making comic books and such, but the comics he draws are pretty rudimentary sketches. (Funny, though!)

H
    OP Offline
    H
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    I don't think these scores are typical at all. I'm suprised that the visual. System isn't being. Looked at more closely with future tests. How is your son with visual tasks such as sports art reading or math. ADHD often has comorbidities.
    Best Wishes
    Grinity

sports: best at things like judo, archery. He's pretty good at soccer. No good at all at basketball or baseball -- no interest though.

He really likes to draw and paint.

He's a fantastic reader. His teacher say's he's reading at about a 7th/8th grade reading level. HATES writing anything; keyboarding makes it easier but even so the composition process is very hard for him. If he dictates to me while I type he will produce a lot more.

Math concepts are fine in school. He makes careless computation errors.

The executive function issue is no suprise to me. He started the TAG school in second grade and did well, third grade started having organization and homework handing in issues; everything fell apart in fourth grade. Last summer I started looking at how to help him improve his esecutive functino problems. (I started a thread here asking for ideas!) He had a horrible sense of passage of time; has a hard time switching gears, getting started on soemthing new, moving off of something that has attracted his attention, etc. he's seeing an executive function tutor now which helps a tiny bit.

A
    A
    Your son sounds a lot like my son who has fairly significant vision, visual-motor, and visual processing issues. My son likes Aikido and archery, painting miniatures, drawing, and reading. He hates writing by hand, and keyboards pretty much anything that he needs to be legible.

His score profiles are here.

H
    OP Offline
    H
    Thanks guys!

I had never considered my son could have issues with visual processing. I don't even know exactly what that would be.

The psychologist did think that he has difficulty planning, and that that could be affecting his picture concepts, perhaps -- whichever test had him copying diagrams; but he still scored average or high average there.

I guess what has me confused is that 19 score in comprehension. The psychologist really went on a bit about that. She said that that particular subtest was highly correlated with future achievement. I can't remember exactly what she said it measured, but she said that it wasn't influenced so much by background knowledge itself,but the child's ability to make sense of the world, general principles, and to express himself. She said that he hit the cceiling on this test.

She said stuff like "Dinner conversations at your house must be fasicinating", that he had the mind to be a PhD in philosophy, literature, etc; and that she wasn't sure that the TAG center school we have him enrolled at as was enough to keep up with his needs for more exposure and satisfy his need for inquiry.

The thing is, dinner table conversations at our house with him aren't anything special. He doesn't seem all that bright to me, frankly. He can't stay on one topic for long before he just gets bored and checks out. He'll ask a question, but if you try to explain something to him and it doesn't satisfy him immediately, he almost walks away (or at least checks out of the conevrsation). Or he annoys his sister, or blurts out a stupidly annoying fart joke.

On the other hand, over the past years I've had some interesting comments from our friends who talk with him at family parties. Both my husband and I were extremely good students, went to top colleges, and out friends have advanced degrees also from top colleges and went to some of the best schools in the country -- and they have smart kids, too. Twice, this year, my friends have sat and engaged my son in a longish (for him) conversation on some topic and have come to tell me, "You have a very bright son there". I honestly just roll my eyes a bit (inwardly) because I just don't see it myself.

I see him as slightly smarter than the average 4th grader; with very poor work ethic; little empathy for others; a lot of difficulty writing; gives up at the slightest hint of difficulty; explodes when he is frustrated (though that is getting better).

And I can't image what the psychologist thinks I should do with him aside from sending him to the TAG center school. It is already a challenge for him to get decent grades there because of the lack of paying attention to details and handing homework in on time!

A
    A
    2E kids are a great risk for developing "poor work ethic" because there are areas where there is essentially no correlation between their effort and the resulting outcome, and so they may learn fairly quickly that if something is difficult in their area of disability, they might as well give up because it isn't going to work matter how hard they try. If they are very bright, they may rarely encounter anything outside of their area of disability that is difficult. If they are the sort of child who can reason from the specific case to the general, then they may erroneously decide that "difficult" always equals "impossible", and then give up immediately even on tasks where increased effort would help.

B
    B
    Here's some information about difficulty recognizing faces.

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/prosopagnosia/Prosopagnosia.htm

C
    C
    Agree with Beckee, this:
    Originally Posted by HoneyBadger
    He's been in the same classroom with the same kids for 2 years for the most part and still doesn't know all of their names when he sees them in outside contexts.
    sounds very much like prosopagnosia (I have it) and if he has it, it may really help him to know that he's different from other people in this regard, and that it has a name, so that he can tell people if he likes and develop strategies to handle it.

The key thing about prosopagnosia is that someone with it doesn't have the sense of familiarity, when they see the face of someone they know, that most people have. It isn't prosopagnosia if you sense that you know someone but can't recall their name. Not recognising people out of context is a classic sign, because if you're expecting to know someone you can use your intelligence to work out who it is, but if there's no reason to think that you'll know this person at all, and you don't have that familiarity signal, you have no reason to perform the "search" for the person's identity. I failed to recognise my DH out of context the other day, although admittedly that surprised me!

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...