Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 332 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    In the time it took me to write my post, and chase a 2 year old around, I see that someone else mentioned the Family Consultant. I'm sorry to hear that yours in not being more assertive. We are on our 2nd FC (the first one moved on to other pastures) and there is a great deal of variation on how they are willing to work with the schools. Maybe you can ask explicitly for a letter to your child's school? Perhaps if they receive a letter addressing how rarely these kids come along and what their needs are, then your school will agree to the stepwise approach that our wise Grinity has suggested.

Actually, (reading your latest post) our second school gave the new grade acceleration (from 7th to 8th) after we paid for the Woodcock-Johnson achievement test. Schools don't seem to know what to do with IQ tests so much as seeing where they are academically. Maybe that is what your FC is hinting at?

Do you have recent achievement testing? (see that danger of not reading all of the posts!!)

Mom to DS12 and DD3
    J
    J
    I think you should be a little careful here- what if the school comes back and they say, in their professional opinion, that your child has manic-depression/bipolar disorder? It could be your child is simply high-spirited and bright but the school tries to put them into a category that is wrong and not in your best interest. You also don't know how good the school's "professional" is.

L
    L
    Originally Posted by bbq797
    I'm not even sure they're concerned that he's 2E since that's already been ruled out by the first psychologist (unless they don't trust his report or think things have changed and they're just not telling me). I think they just don't know what to make of his behavior and they're just trying to figure it out. We're sure he's not 2E. I think he's just quirky, bored and lacking in social skills.

I don't think he sounds 2E either. However, imo wanting to have him evaluated by a psychiatrist implicitly suggests that they think something is "wrong". I personally wouldn't do it unless they gave me a really good reason why.

I don't think there's any doubt that he's gifted and I don't think an updated IQ test will tell them anything they don't already know. Ugh...I hate to say it, but I'm concerned that they might use it against him if he scores even just a bit lower: "see, he's not really that gifted, I guess we don't need to accelerate him after all"

Especially if he is a DYS, I see no point in retesting his IQ, especially by someone who's qualifications and motives may be questionable. Best case scenario is that they find out what they already know. Worst case is what you describe here. I don't see what is to be gained.

I don't really see what harm could come of him visiting the classroom for a day or two.

I have discussed it w/her and honestly, I'm a bit disappointed. All she's done so far is email me links to articles and suggest they test him academically. I could do both of these things on my on. She hasn't been the least bit insightful or knowledgeable or able to even talk things out. : (
    I'm going to encourage you to share your perspective with your FC, and let her know that you need more from her. Be as specific as possible. If she or he seems uncomfortable, then ask to speak to her higher-up. The only way the program can reach it's goal of providing support is if we let them know. DYS knows it's in new territory and is very good about accepting feedback.
    Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    I would be very cautious about letting the school do a psych eval for vague reasons.

A
    A
    I would say that if there are significant behavioral concerns, then doing a psychological evaluation would be appropriate. Also, if I were testing a current K student whose last IQ test was 2 years ago, I would, in fact, want to repeat that testing.

However, I would not have a psychiatrist do any of that -- they are not generally trained in personality assessment. "Just talking to him" is not likely to be helpful anyhow -- my professional experience has been that doing projective testing (Rorschach, storytelling tests, drawings, etc) has been much more useful than just talking to a GT-maybe-2E kid in understanding what their inner world is really like -- most kids' behaviors make *sense* when you take the time to really sit with them.

I agree that "pediatric bipolar" is so massively overdiagnosed that it would be wise to find a practitioner who had a skeptical viewpoint on the topic and who was well-versed in the other possibilities.

I also agree that I would also not be comfortable with having a school psychologist do the evaluation. In most cases, they are *also* not trained in this kind of evaluation, and the amount of training and supervision they get is nowhere near what a psychologist gets. (There is a constant back-and-forth politics-thing in which psychologists want school psychs to stop calling themselves psychs because they really really really aren't.) Plus, they are tasked with answering the question of, "Does this kid need services?" not, "What is this kid really like as a person and what is going to help him?" And they typically have *zero* training in GT/2E issues.

Unfortunately, testing is one of those things where free tends to be worth every penny.

B
    bbq797 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Originally Posted by Aimee Yermish
    (There is a constant back-and-forth politics-thing in which psychologists want school psychs to stop calling themselves psychs because they really really really aren't.) Plus, they are tasked with answering the question of, "Does this kid need services?" not, "What is this kid really like as a person and what is going to help him?" And they typically have *zero* training in GT/2E issues.

So very true!

Thanks for the feedback, we've called off almost everything. No psychiatric eval, no IQ testing. All they will do now is test him academically to see where he falls in line in their curriculum so we can figure out proper placement.

As for psych. eval, we will still do this privately. I really don't think he's 2E, but at least if someone evaluates him, we will have something to go on.

As for an evaluator, is it better to have a neuropsychologist or a psychologist? I've done some research and seems as if neuropsych will also test for how he learns etc. I have a list of names, but now I have to make phone calls to see about experience w/gifted kids. I have a feeling I'm not going to come up with much.

My pediatrician recommended a neuropsychiatrist, she said she had experience w/all types of kids etc. (they will all say this I'm sure). But my husband just received a list of in network providers to take a look at.

Oh, and I did ask my FC at Davidsons and got a great response. At least now I feel like I'm on the right track, just have to choose someone for the evaluation.

D
    D
    I'd go with a neuropsychologist. Our child development center actually uses a combination/team-- developmental pediatrician for physical exam, neuropsych for the testing.

DeeDee

B
    bbq797 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Originally Posted by ebeth
    Hi bbq797!

He tends to do the karate chops in the air when he is very stressed or anxious, and when he is trying to "process" the day's activities at school. The more "friction" in his life, whether it is boredom in school or a social mismatch with kids that don't get him, the more "quirky" he looks. But put him on the Science Olympiad team with old kids who share his passion and joy for science, and he fits right in.

DS11 had one grade skip between 2nd and 3rd, and then a subject acceleration in Science of 3 years. Even after all of this help from the school, we still felt that this school was not a good fit for our son. Their expectations were that every child should be the same and that they should all fit through the same round peg hole. They expected that the accelerations would help him fit through the next grade's round peg better. However, we just needed to realized that he was not round like everyone else, and to celebrate his uniquely squareness.

Once we did that, by changing to a school that is more accepting of differences, going through a second grade acceleration, and add a healthy dose of maturity, which seems to be kicking in in burst and starts at age 11, we seem to be finally finding a good place to be in. (cross every finger and toe and pray).

Sorry, I haven't checked in on my own post in a while--

ebeth--sounds like a very similar situation, what school did you change to? A private school? Different school in your district? Good to hear there's some light at the end of the tunnel!

Originally Posted by jack'smom
    I think you should be a little careful here- what if the school comes back and they say, in their professional opinion, that your child has manic-depression/bipolar disorder? It could be your child is simply high-spirited and bright but the school tries to put them into a category that is wrong and not in your best interest. You also don't know how good the school's "professional" is.

This would be my main concern -- you have a small boy who likes to karate chop stuff.....and they want him to be evaluated.

This is a bit concerning, but if they give clear reasons for the eval, such as others have suggested, maybe it would be reasonable:
    'we want to make sure he'll be an ok fit for skipping'
    what specific eval tools they'll use (what screening instruments), etc. should be determined ahead of time. How long has this evaluator been doing this sort of work? How long within the school system? You should ask to speak with them first if at all possible.

Last edited by chris1234; 11/20/11 04:44 AM.
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM