Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 97 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
    B
    bbq797 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    This is an offshoot from another thread I posted. Basically, in order to know where to place my son (currently in K), principal, teacher and psychologist want to evaluate him academically and have a psych eval. to know exactly what's going on w/him.

Brief background--he's been tested already (he's DYS). School officials don't have any issues w/grade skip or acceleration, but the building is K-3 and they think he might already know most of the curriculum. They can enrich him in reading, but math might be tricky--hence a complete academic workup to know exactly where he's at as far as curriculum goes. As for the social component, they're concerned. At times he gets in kids' faces, knocks down blocks, karate chops the air etc.; it's not all the time, he can certainly pull it together (he does every week for a science class he has after school) and I attribute it to mostly boredom and lack of being able to relate to the other kids. They agree, but also are concerned b/c they see these behaviors at times where it's not an academic setting and it interferes in his learning and his relationships w/the other kids.

Sooooo.....in order to get a complete picture of what's exactly going on, they also want a psych. eval. which has to be done by a psychiatrist. It's just interviewing him and talking to him for a bit.

My question is, should I be concerned about this? I did insist that whoever does the testing should have experience w/gifted kids etc. It sounds rather ominous, I don't know why though--maybe I'm afraid he'll be missed diagnosed or behaviors misinterpreted (he won't be observing --just taking into consideration school psychologists observations).

Anyone have experience w/this or can shed some light?

Thanks much!!!

Are they offering to pay for it? In my state there is some provision if the parent doesn't like the the results that they pay for a tester of the parent's choice - but that's not for gifted, only for special ed, and I don't even know if that's still true.

I don't think it's a cause for concern for him to be tested, but I would 'brush him up' on his 'Transforming the Difficult Child Workbook' style 'power calm' and 'inner wealth' so that he behaves himself in front of the psychiatrist.

A complete academic workup sounds like a great idea. Can you agree to the complete academic workup first, and then do a trial at proper levels with an agreement tto do the psych eval if the transition doesn't go smoothly?

It seems like a stepwise approach will be safer.

It is possible to be bored in social settings, particularly when the agemates aren't intellectual peers in any sense of the word. It's also possible at this age that the child is trying to reproduce the behavior he perceives the other boys as exhibiting , perhaps without a lot of conscious thought, and by placing him with older boys, he'll start internalizing their behavior, which will be easier to understand and reproduce.

So if they are willing, I'd agree to a stepwise plan, where they evaluate the academics first, and then brainstorm some ideas, and then try them, and then take it to the next level with the psychiatrist if needed.

BTW, is it possible that they want an eval with a psychologist? Psychiatrists very often mean that they are interested in a diagnosis that requires medication. Is ADHD on the plate?

Best Wishes,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    We started out with a pediatric psychiatrist due our son's tantrums. The psych was really nice. When the kids are little like ours they primarily speak with the parents and request input from teachers.

The psych could turn out to be a great ally in the process.

~amy
    honestly, if our school had been as accomodating as it sounds like yours is, I would jump through any hoop they asked.

But I agree with Grinity. Based on what I've been reading, especially if you have some idea the child is gifted, it's inappropriate to consider the behavior until the academic setting is correct. I think you should ask for a stepped approach. Or, like she's asking, do you think there is another Dx to consider?

I get excited when the library lets me know my books are ready for pickup...
    B
    bbq797 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Thanks so much for the responses!

Hmmm...a step approach sounds interesting, but they're line of thinking is let's have as much information as possible so they can place him properly. They're not against acceleration, but the principal is concerned that should he exhibit some of these behaviors if he's accelerated a grade (would have to be at least two), that older kids are more savvy and less forgiving of quirky behavior. The grade skip and more challenging work might take care of the problem, but if there's something else going on, it's really setting him up for a very difficult time.

ADHD isn't on the table (it's already ruled out by his first psychologist who did his IQ and Achievement tests). I think they just want to rule out that it is anything else. (I don't really know what else it could be).

ephoh--thanks, that's also good to know

B
    bbq797 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Oh, and yes, they will pay for it

wait, you already have IQ and acheivement tests and NOW they want him to go to the psychaiatrist? First, why not just a psychologist...and if you have the test scores, why not a trial placement, or moving to the other grade half the day at first?

My DD8 has had issues, I have pulled her out of school and now we are evaluating her and shopping for schools. If the prospective school refuses to look at the report and try the suggestions before they want to talk about her past behavior,I don't think I'm going to be put her in a school like that...

I get excited when the library lets me know my books are ready for pickup...
    C
    C
    When the school agreed to a mid-year skip for my son, it was contingent upon the school psychologist meeting with him and providing her thoughts on his maturity, ability to cope with change etc. I am quite surprised that the school has asked for a psychiatrist evaluation and that they are paying for it. That seems a bit excessive and Master of None might be right- it might be a way for them to say "No and here's why." I think you may want to meet with the psychiatrist in advance and find out what s/he is looking for, what the goal is and get a feel if the goal is rule in acceleration or rule it out.

Honestly for us, the school psychologist became our biggest ally. She fought hard for my DS long after the skip and continued to push the school principal.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by bbq797
    As for the social component, they're concerned. At times he gets in kids' faces, knocks down blocks, karate chops the air etc.; it's not all the time, he can certainly pull it together (he does every week for a science class he has after school) and I attribute it to mostly boredom and lack of being able to relate to the other kids. They agree, but also are concerned b/c they see these behaviors at times where it's not an academic setting and it interferes in his learning and his relationships w/the other kids.

Sooooo.....in order to get a complete picture of what's exactly going on, they also want a psych. eval. which has to be done by a psychiatrist. It's just interviewing him and talking to him for a bit.

What standardized instruments (if any) will that psychiatrist be using?

I'd be concerned about the social behavior too. It's perfectly possible to be DYS-level bright and yet also have something 2E going on. My DS has Asperger's and has issues with personal space, temper, and general social fit; ADHD can also be at the root of some kinds of social immaturity. Not saying that's what's going on here, just saying that looking for 2E is a good idea in that if you find something, you can address it.

You are right that these behaviors are outside the norm for his age/grade, and yes, if you skip him, they will be further outside the norm when he's among more mature kids. I would not assume that fixing the academic content will fix the behavior; sometimes it does, but if the child has something else going on, the something else needs to be addressed no matter where they're placed.

However, if it's "go talk to our psychiatrist," and it's just an interview, I don't think that's of significant diagnostic value. If you wanted to screen for 2E issues, you'd do a neuropsychological workup. A psychiatrist is unlikely to be the right person for this job.

DeeDee

L
    L
    I would want to know what he's being evaluated FOR, honestly. And it sounds very vague at this point. Again, why a psychiatrist vs a psychologist? Definitely ask a lot of questions and meet the evaluator before you agree.

Also, I agree that a trial period in the older classroom would provide some insight as to whether his behavior will change in the new setting. You mentioned an after-school science class that he does fine in. Are the other kids in that class older than him or more mature than those he is around at school? If so, it might be a good example of what he might be like in a different setting.

As for the older kids being less forgiving, this could be a good thing, IF the behavior is not a consequence of a 2E factor that he can't control. If he is just acting out from boredom, then a more stimulating environment plus more mature classmates should solve the problem. If you suspect 2E issues, though, I don't know that I would trust this evaluation from a school chosen psychiatrist. I would probably prefer a neuropsych eval from a doctor of MY choosing.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM