Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 208 guests, and 7 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    K
    OP Offline
    K
    So my DD6 just started first grade. I met with the gifted teacher at her school yesterday, and she took me through the 3 phases of identification for the gifted program. Phase 1 being identifying a need and providing differentiation in the classroom. Phase 2 is pulling her out of the classroom and offering enrichment as necessary and Phase 3 is IQ testing and identification of gifted and then the IEP is put into place. In our district b/c there are so many bright kids you must test in the 99th percentile on the WISC-III (score 140) in order to qualify. In the process they are also gathering tons of data from teachers, MAP testing, etc. (This all started last year, she's got a file of some poetry she wrote during center time last year in kindergarten, etc.)

So, my DD is in Phase 2 -- in kindergarten she was pulled out twice per week and will continue some sort of enrichment for this year but it hasn't been decided yet. She also gave me a parent survey they use for identification to fill out, and they have her 99% MAP scores from last spring as well.

I've never been in a huge hurry to test as long as her needs were being met, but to really dig in and get full services you do need to be identified. And the school psychologist really feels strongly you wait until age 8. Well, my DD is a late July birthday (youngest in the class, along with the smartest in the class, which makes it hard), and so 8 years old is 3rd grade for her which seems like a long time to wait -- and her gifted teacher agreed.

It sounds like she wants me to either request testing be done sooner or wait and see if her teacher makes the request. I am curious what you all think? At 6 years, 1 month, would it be helpful for me to even wait until January maybe in order to test? Because she needs such a high score to get services I am wondering if waiting will help her to achieve that?

The teacher said DD is a bit of an "outlier" in that it was the first time she was pulled in to help a child at the kindergarten level, so she could see testing early -- and given that DD is so young for her grade, I am stumped.

I want her to score well. She's one of those kids we've known was gifted since she was a baby, but honestly I can't imagine she'd really be a 140?? How do you know?? I mean, she knew her alphabet by sight at 16 months -- talking at 6.5 months. Reading sight words at 2, and full books at 3 years, 2 months, and started chapter books the summer she turned 4. She's also testing 99% on math MAPs even though we've never enriched math. I am just not sure.

I am sorry this is so long. Any advice on when to test? Now? In 6 months? Wait until 2nd grade? Wait until age 8? Thanks so much!!

You have nothing to loose by asking for the testing now. (Unless she has a sort of squirly personality, and is likely to 'mess with the tester's head just for the fun of it - in which case wait until she knows how to be serious at times.)

She'd be judged against other young 6 year olds when the score is calculated.

If she really is an outlier, and needs a gradeskip or several subject accelerations, I think that is easier when the peers and younger and more 'go with the flow.' I also think that kids who need to be skipped are usually (not always) happier socially with 'readiness-mates' as well.

Best Wishes,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by KansasMom
    honestly I can't imagine she'd really be a 140?? How do you know?? I mean, she knew her alphabet by sight at 16 months -- talking at 6.5 months. Reading sight words at 2, and full books at 3 years, 2 months, and started chapter books the summer she turned 4.

Based on that description, I'd be surprised if her IQ were significantly lower than 140, although GooglePsychometrist indicates that the WISC-III has a time component, so if she's a slow-deep kid, that's a consideration. The WISC-III is an older test, so could be expected to overstate IQ compared to the latest revision, which works in your favor here.

I personally wouldn't expect waiting to either help or hurt.

Originally Posted by KansasMom
    In our district b/c there are so many bright kids you must test in the 99th percentile on the WISC-III (score 140) in order to qualify.
    Maybe double check with someone - the school has probably updated to using WISC - IV...
    It is 'easier' to score 140 on WISC-III than it is on WISC-IV, so don't worry if they haven't
    Good luck,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    C
    C
    My 9yo outlier had similar reading/language baby milestones. I'm really glad we had her tested at 6.

Schools are usually pretty conservative about testing and accommodations, so if they are suggesting testing... It sucks to have to negotiate accommodation for your dc when they are under duress. It takes forever and is nerve wracking for everyone.

Doing the testing while things are going well sounds wonderful. I would go for it!

Warning: sleep deprived
    Originally Posted by Chrys
    Doing the testing while things are going well sounds wonderful. I would go for it!

Great point. There is a lot of wisdom in this. A lot.

Mr W's milestones are just a bit later than your DD. I know two kids whose milestones were a few months later than his and their FSIQs were > 140. So, I think you have a good shot to make the cutoff.

I'd get her tested. Then you can argue about facts with the school district and also gain some feedback from the psych and other parents with kids on the same scale.

A
    A
    why not test? DS tested a 150 at age 4.5 and tested again at age 8 or 9 at 160. does the 150 or 160 make a big diff on what the programs can do? no. Test now with the 140 and join DYS, there's a good enough reason to do it now! (BTW i only retested because we moved and the new gifted school needed current testing, less than 2 years old)

A
    A
    Hey guys -- this is me, KansasMom -- the original poster. I created a new user name when I thought that's why my threads weren't working -- sorry for the confusion. Thanks so much for all of this information -- it is invaluable!! I appreciate the encouragement for testing. I am not really open to a grade skip considering she is already the youngest in the class, and as it is our schools are quite good. I imagine they are teaching about a grade level above already, which is why the standards for gifted education are so high. I am glad to know you think that 140 could be a possibility. I am thinking I will let the school year get into full swing, and see what they have planned for her as far as enrichment goes, and then maybe ask for testing in a few months? I know they will do MAPs again in Sept. And maybe they will move forward with testing on their own?

I am going to start filling out the survey for the school -- I am so curious what types of things they are asking about!

Oh, and yes, I pulled out the paperwork and apparently it is the WISC-IV. So what is the obsession with age 8 if it really makes no difference? And can I trust the school psychologist to be a strong and reliable tester??

J
    J
    My DS is the same age as your DD, July of 2005. He recently took the WISC IV and had a blast taking it smile I would have guessed 140 to be an accurate IQ for my son, but it was much higher. You never know! I would request testing.

JT
    DS6, DS5, DD3
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by Artsmartmom
    Oh, and yes, I pulled out the paperwork and apparently it is the WISC-IV. So what is the obsession with age 8 if it really makes no difference? And can I trust the school psychologist to be a strong and reliable tester??

The obsession with age 8 is that IQ scores are more stable after that age, as older children are more likely to be capable of taking instructions from parents and testers to do their best seriously after that age, and are less likely to have as great a negative impact from an "off" day. Testing after age 8, when children have been in school for a few years, also wipes out some of the impact of differences in early reading and math exposure at very young ages, so it gives gifted children from deprived backgrounds who have not had early in-home experiences with these areas time to acquire more crystallized knowledge, whereas they might not test as high if they were tested as they first entered school.

Unfortunately, you can't rely on the school psychologist to be a strong and reliable tester. You might get lucky, you might not.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM