So my DD6 just started first grade. I met with the gifted teacher at her school yesterday, and she took me through the 3 phases of identification for the gifted program. Phase 1 being identifying a need and providing differentiation in the classroom. Phase 2 is pulling her out of the classroom and offering enrichment as necessary and Phase 3 is IQ testing and identification of gifted and then the IEP is put into place. In our district b/c there are so many bright kids you must test in the 99th percentile on the WISC-III (score 140) in order to qualify. In the process they are also gathering tons of data from teachers, MAP testing, etc. (This all started last year, she's got a file of some poetry she wrote during center time last year in kindergarten, etc.)

So, my DD is in Phase 2 -- in kindergarten she was pulled out twice per week and will continue some sort of enrichment for this year but it hasn't been decided yet. She also gave me a parent survey they use for identification to fill out, and they have her 99% MAP scores from last spring as well.

I've never been in a huge hurry to test as long as her needs were being met, but to really dig in and get full services you do need to be identified. And the school psychologist really feels strongly you wait until age 8. Well, my DD is a late July birthday (youngest in the class, along with the smartest in the class, which makes it hard), and so 8 years old is 3rd grade for her which seems like a long time to wait -- and her gifted teacher agreed.

It sounds like she wants me to either request testing be done sooner or wait and see if her teacher makes the request. I am curious what you all think? At 6 years, 1 month, would it be helpful for me to even wait until January maybe in order to test? Because she needs such a high score to get services I am wondering if waiting will help her to achieve that?

The teacher said DD is a bit of an "outlier" in that it was the first time she was pulled in to help a child at the kindergarten level, so she could see testing early -- and given that DD is so young for her grade, I am stumped.

I want her to score well. She's one of those kids we've known was gifted since she was a baby, but honestly I can't imagine she'd really be a 140?? How do you know?? I mean, she knew her alphabet by sight at 16 months -- talking at 6.5 months. Reading sight words at 2, and full books at 3 years, 2 months, and started chapter books the summer she turned 4. She's also testing 99% on math MAPs even though we've never enriched math. I am just not sure.

I am sorry this is so long. Any advice on when to test? Now? In 6 months? Wait until 2nd grade? Wait until age 8? Thanks so much!!