Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (1 invisible), 384 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    I think I read on here somewhere sometime, that some wise person told their DC it was brain age, not birthdays! I always liked it smile

DeHe

Last edited by DeHe; 07/18/11 05:06 PM. Reason: Spelling!!!!
    A
    A
    i like it!

We're probably heading for this. DS noticed the sticker on a toy that said not for under 3's and was cross at me for giving it to his brother (2.5 years) I had to do some explaining. We also had a discussion recently when he turned 5. He asked if he was really 5, because he was still wearing size 4 clothes. smile

Last edited by GeoMamma; 07/19/11 12:52 AM.
    B
    B
    We just hit this too. Ds is going into K and wants the K leapster game, lol. He has had the 1st grade one for years. "But, it is kindergarten, and I am in kindergarten." It's going to be a long year.

bigbadwool, get your scissors and handmade stickers out it will make the year a lot easier ,lol smile

T
    T
    We had this conversation too - we did the whole "it's a recommendation, it's up to your responsible adult to make the final call"

My daughter insisted on this when she was young. She is a rule follower (or was). I finally just let it go and picked it up later. At 14, she sees this more clearly.

My Aspie son is a total rule follower. It wasn't that he didn't want to do the things for older kids, but it made him anxious thinking that he shouldn't. Some cartoons are marked Y7 and he wouldn't watch those when he was 5. It was actually nice since I didn't have to restrict him, he did it on his own.

Luckily, at almost 9 now, he will go to some acceptable PG13 movies. For a while he wouldn't even consider that! We can't miss Harry Potter!!!

He isn't around many kids his age, so I'd be surprised if he's trying to "fit in" at this point. I expect that when he starts school in August. But maybe he is picking up on his difference at the playground.
    It doesn't take much, we adults are so used to 'tuning out things' - one lady in a grocery store saying 'My My - well look who is reading!' in a snotty tone can be enough for these tender things.

In general I think 'flexibility training' is very important for these kids who seem born with an internal intuition that is hard to overcome.

Start with telling a few stories from your childhood, and your recent about how you first saw a thing one way, and then another.

Show a few 'Vase or Face' pictures, and the one with the fork in the coffee cup, to show how our brains are 'making stories' all the time, even when we don't have all the information.

Then praise praise praise anyone, including your child, who shows the slightest bit of flexibility in their thinking. Lather-Rinse-Repeat for about 10 years....it takes a while.

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    P
    P
    Originally Posted by DeHe
    I think I read on here somewhere sometime, that some wise person told their DC it was brain age, not birthdays! I always liked it smile

DeHe

That's a very good answer! I may not have to use it since my DDs love the attention and praise when people see them reading teen books.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM