Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 395 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    OP Offline
    Recently, my son (4.5) has been refusing to watch or listen or play with anything with a manufacturer's recommended age higher than his own.

For example, he has a Rock N' Learn DVD on Earth Science. He has watched it several times, often putting it in the player himself. The other day I asked him if he wanted to watch it (he asked me to choose a DVD for him), he said no because it was for grade 3 to 8 and he's not in preschool yet.

It's strange that up to now he has enjoyed all sorts of things with an upper suggested age group range printed right on the package, and now he says he's too little to use them anymore.

Should I cut out the offending MRA before he see's it?

What can I say to him to get him over this? It's like he's trying to play strictly by "the rules".

I'd try just letting him do what he wants for a while.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    Why don't you point out to him that many people can enjoy toys/books/DVDs that are not specific to their age group. Many adults read children's books and find them quite enjoyable. Babies find pots and pans interesting and their primary purpose is for adults to cook with. wink Giving him some examples might help him to worry less about the age recommendations.

S
    S
    The age recommendations I used for my older son had to do with small parts as he tended to swallow stuff ( including a nickel when he should have known better). I also found with him he was generally close to the age ranges as far as interest and ability give or take a year.

For my younger son I kept him away from the tiny legos but other than that the age stuff didn't matter if someone else was playing it he wanted to even if someone was his partner to help the first few times (thinking monopoly when he was really too young to play and the next thing I know he doesn't need a partner).

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    Originally Posted by Ametrine
    It's strange that up to now he has enjoyed all sorts of things with an upper suggested age group range printed right on the package, and now he says he's too little to use them anymore.
    Stinks, doesn't it?
    Amazing at such a young age they can start wanting to 'cover their tracks' - yes?
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    OP Offline
    I'm wondering if he's tired of his things, and is looking for an excuse. He's been asking for something new every time we're out. We just bought him $60 worth of new toys!

Grinity-

He isn't around many kids his age, so I'd be surprised if he's trying to "fit in" at this point. I expect that when he starts school in August. But maybe he is picking up on his difference at the playground. The other day, hubby took him and he was talking with another boy who hubby estimated at about 8 years old. Overheard in their conversation was my son, "Four plus four equals eight!" The other boy looked surprised a second and said, "Yeah, that's right. How old are you?" The same day, DS was playing with a boy whose mother said was three. This little boy was sticking to our DS like glue, listening to everything he was saying; which is something our son does to the older kids. Humm...wondering if that little one is a "gifty".

Iucounu-

Good idea. I do suggest things to him if he seems to be just sitting around. I seem to vaguely recall reading somewhere that boredom is a good motivator, and to not try to schedule your child's every "bored" moment.

He did get up and choose his dry-erase board this morning. It was the first time he attempted to write out a sentence. Previously, he has typed email sentences, so I was very happy to see him practicing his writing skills. His letters are still wobbly.

ametrine, I started cutting out recommended ages on workbooks and games about 2 years ago with dd6 for that reason, she thought she was too young for it. once the age thing was not listed she could do it...amazing how the mind works,lol smile

OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Skylersmommy
    ametrine, I started cutting out recommended ages on workbooks and games about 2 years ago with dd6 for that reason, she thought she was too young for it. once the age thing was not listed she could do it...amazing how the mind works,lol smile

I'm relieved to see someone else has had this happen.

My husband told me he has made up some stickers that say "Age 4 & Up" to put over the MRA on his things. This may or may not work for anything new coming in, but definitely will not work for what he already has. (He will remember it said something else.)

*sigh* I'm so tired.

A
    A
    DS10 was always very literal & logical and he went through that too. The box says ages 8+ and he is 5, why wouldn't he believe it? They wouldn't LIE right? So, if it says it's not for his age then he shouldn't use it. I explained that it's usually there to keep little kids safe from little chokey bits and that if Mom & Dad think it's OK to give permission for a game or toy with higher age recommendation than that's OK with the company. Also some little kids can't snap Legos and K'nex together like him so they use it as a general guide, ie: "Most kids 5+ can snap K'nex together and won't eat them" They just want to warn the parents that this may not be right for kids under that age so be careful. Same with DVD content, I told him some kids his age don't read yet or may not get the jokes/content/whatever on the DVD so the company that makes it doesn't want sad kids and disappointed Moms & Dads that bought DVDs/Toys/etc that their kiddies wouldn't enjoy. I also told him it's to help people when they are shopping for gifts for kids as a rough idea.

This all worked and it became a dialogue over the years whenever we shopped for toys, games, dvds, etc. He was also proud when he'd build a K'nex roller coaster intended for 10+ and he was much younger.

Went through this. I sat DS down and explained that the ages were recommended, then I had to explain what recommended meant, LOL, then he was ok.

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:25 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:14 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs