Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 312 guests, and 30 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    M
    M
    Taminy that is certainly what I see with my DD. We have stepped up our efforts for my almost 5 yr old in the last two months and seen a massive jump in her output in unrelated areas. Her drawings and colouring in for example are dramatically improved in the last month.

Yes, that has been my experience as well. Challenge in just one lttle area affects their who person. I have seen it in my DS and VERY clearly in one of the students I taught before children (Oh to go back to then with that child with what I know now! I get teary just thinking about it.)

Trouble is so many people just don't see it or recognise what it is if they do see it.

Originally Posted by Giftodd
    Over the course of the last few weeks I have notice dd getting comfortable. Which should sound positive - and in many ways it is. We had a stressful start to school and now things are settling. I am thrilled that she's more relaxed.

She does however want more challenging work (her words not mine). I posted the other day about raising this with her teacher regarding maths and how she had said dd didn't know her maths facts to a certain level. As I mentioned in that post, dd does have the necessary facts down, but she finds them boring and can't do them quickly so I think she rushes over them and gets things wrong. The teacher said she's doing really well in the top maths group. I got the impression that should be enough, despite the work being well below what she does at home.

Similarly with reading, writing etc, she's working comfortably at the top of the class, despite her skip.

If I didn't know dd was gifted there would be, I suspect very few teachers would pick it. DD does exactly what is expected of her, she's polite, achieving. If it aint' broke, don't fix it right? It occurred to me it's exactly what happened when I started school - top of the class in early elementary, middle of the class by mid-elementry and there forever after because I just lost all interest and no one noticed I could do more.

I know you read about these things all the time, but I am surprised to be living it (shouldn't be, obviously, but there you go!) Now I realise if I had even just a little less knowledge about giftedness I'd just leave my daughter be. DD's behaviour is ok, her teacher is positive about the level she's working at now, my rarely complaining dd would never mention she found the work easy unless I'd thought to ask about it. Better than the nightly tantrums we had a few months ago sure, but at least I knew, KNEW, something was wrong then. Now we just have a shade of grey that I sometimes wonder if I am imagining. How easy for these kids to fly under the radar.

I know exactly what you mean. We had the same situation at the start of our school year too, in fact throughout the year. DD would get comfortable and be "happy" to do exactly what she was asked to until she had finally had her fill of being unchallenged and just ok and she would start to have melt downs at home (never at school). She too got discouraged by other kids getting more praise and recognition when her work was as good as theirs was. But, I think it is because the work was a challenge for them, but wasn't for her. Only her science and Spanish teachers saw her LOG for what is was, her regular classroom teacher never saw it.
    DH and I often wondered if we were being too pushy because, like you, if I knew a bit less about giftedness, I wouldn't be worried about her being comfortable.
    Sorry, I have no words of wisdom, but I can relate to your dilemma.

G
    Giftodd Offline OP
    OP Offline
    G
    Thanks all for your comments. Nice to know we're not alone - though a shame that that is the case, if you know what I mean! The teacher tested dd's addition facts the other day according to dd, but that was all (dd's loves pretty much everything about maths except maths facts, so I don't know that that will tell her much about where she is really at). DD was very upset because it was her morning for shown and tell and she missed out because the teacher was testing her. She said that was all she could think about while the testing was being done. Poor little thing. She didn't think to let the teach know. I'll be interested to see what happens from there, if anything! I'm pondering where too from here. DD is adamant she doesn't want another skip and I am reluctant to at this stage anyway as socially she's pretty happy(though I wouldn't rule it out down the track). Sometimes I fantasise about having and ND kid. I'm sure that bring it's own probablems, and I adore dd. But there just doesn't seem to be a single easy answer.

"If children have interest, then education will follow" - Arthur C Clarke
    I too have these fantasies sometimes, but then one of the girls will do a "GT" thing that is just amazing and cool and it knocks the fantasy right on its ear when I think "wow, there is no way I could be doing this with an ND kid- I am so glad I have gifties, even with all of their issues." smile It is then further knocked down when I relay what they have done to friends with ND kids and they look at me like I must be crazy and then they tell me what their kid is doing and it usually seems so basic, I don't know how I would react with a kid like that. (But then again, if that's what I had, I would know how to react wouldn't I?)

A
    aly Offline
    A
    Both my elder children are GT and as so many of us know, this can be associated with many challenges.
    When I had my third baby 18 months ago, I was secretly excited that he wasn't apparently devloping as quickly as the others had. He turned 1 and could barely say 10 words (although we did know he understood far more) and was not starting to identify letters (whoppee!). He was going to be my 'normal kid'.... or so I thought until last week. All of a sudden I realised that he could tell the difference between letters and numbers. Then he pointed to the ketchup bottle. I finally relented thinking that he was going to push it around, or possibly chew on it (aah!). Instead, he turned it around and started looking at the writing saying various letters (eg C, B etc, in no particular order). Since then, I have noticed other GT signs.
    All I could think was, here we go again! crazy Hopefully I'll be better prepared now.

re: fantasizing about nd kids...

isn't the real fantasy a place where these/our kids would be considered 'normal' just the way they are?

Sigh.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by chris1234
    re: fantasizing about nd kids...

What are "nd kids"?

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    nd=normal development

Kids who struggle with age appropriate grade level schoolwork are ND, normally developing. I always thought they were faking it and were geniuses for faking it so well. It frustrated me that I could not figure out how to fake it convincingly when other kids could and I knew I was smarter than they were.
    Chris, I'm glad you said the true fantasy is that the true fantasy is a place where exceptional minds are normal.

Last edited by La Texican; 06/28/11 05:46 AM. Reason: to appreciate someone

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM