Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 331 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #103948 06/01/11 05:31 PM
    OP Offline
    I have posted before about my middle daughter, who is now 12, here: link to previous thread . She has had difficulties with spelling, phonological processing, writing down information that seems to be right in front of her, & some auditory issues since 2nd grade. But her grades have always been good & scores on state test are consistently high.

I have finally managed to get a psychological evaluation done & had the last appointment to get the results today. So I thought I would share them & find out if anyone had any feedback. Also if you have any advice for placement for next year as she enters middle school (gifted, advanced, honors, etc.)

WISC-IV
    Verbal Comprehension Subtests/Scaled Scores:
    Similarities/16++
    Vocabulary/14
    Comprehension/18++

Perceptual Reasoning Subtests/Scaled Scores:
    Block Designs/15++
    Picture Concepts/15++
    Matrix Reasoning/14

Working Memory Subtests/Scaled Scores:
    Digit Span/04--
    Letter-Number Sequencing/10--

Processing Speed Subtests/Scaled Scores:
    Coding/10--
    Symbol Search/11

Index/Composite Score/Percentile:
    Verbal Comprehension/136++/99
    Perceptual Reasoning/129++/97
    Working Memory/83--/13
    Processing Speed /103--/58
    Full Scale IQ /120++ /91

++statistically significant relative strength
    --statistically significant relative weakness

WJ-III
    Composite Scores & subtests/Standard Score/percentile/GE:
    Broad Reading/98--/44/6.1
    Letter-Word Identification/97--/42/5.6
    Passage Comprehension/113/80/11.3
    Reading Fluency/92--/31/5.2

Broad Mathematics/116/86/10.1
    Calculation/130++/98/18.0
    Applied Problems/112/78/10.3
    Mathematics Fluency/91--/27/5.5

Broad Written Language/96--/41/5.8
    Spelling/96--/38/5.4
    Writing Samples/121++/92/13.5
    Writing Fluency/88--/22/4.9

Academic Skills/107/68/7.4
    Academic Applications/117/87/11.4
    Academic Fluency/90--/26/5.1

Total Achievement/103/57/7.0

Oral Language/103/57/8.2
    Story Recall/104/60/9.3
    Understanding Directions/102/55/7.8

++statistically significant when compared with intellectual potential of full scale IQ of 120
    --statistically significant weakness (minus one standard deviation)

There is a long, well-written report, but I won't bore you with all of that. sleep If anyone wants details I will be happy to share. The overall factor is that her strong abilities are hampered by her weak fluency/speed.

The diagnosis is that "[dd12] is best considered a gifted student with a learning disability. She meets criteria for a Reading Disorder (dyslexia) with particular impairment in reading speed as well as a Disorder of Written Expression with impairment in writing speed."

His recommendations are:
    1. A 504 education plan that offers extra work time for classroom examinations & standardized tests;
    2. The opportunity to use a keyboard when possible for written assignments;
    3. Using learning strategies of visualization, conceptual analysis, practical examples, & general understanding to integrate information;
    4. (synopsis) Make sure she learns to organize her work & does not procrastinate. Because of her slow work speed,the further she gets behind the harder it will be for her to show her full potential.

When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do. Walt Disney
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by ginger234
    His recommendations are:
    1. A 504 education plan that offers extra work time for classroom examinations & standardized tests;
    2. The opportunity to use a keyboard when possible for written assignments;
    3. Using learning strategies of visualization, conceptual analysis, practical examples, & general understanding to integrate information;
    4. (synopsis) Make sure she learns to organize her work & does not procrastinate. Because of her slow work speed,the further she gets behind the harder it will be for her to show her full potential.

Hi Ginger,

Congrats to you for pursuing this-- I'm sure it will be helpful to your DD to know what she's dealing with.

I'm surprised that the recommendations don't include direct remediation of the dyslexia and the disorder of written expression. Both of these can improve considerably with targeted therapies, and you might want both in-school and private help with them.

DeeDee

I have finally managed to get a psychological evaluation done & had the last appointment to get the results today. So I thought I would share them & find out if anyone had any feedback. Also if you have any advice for placement for next year as she enters middle school (gifted, advanced, honors, etc.)
    What are the choices availible to DD12 for next year? Will they allow her to take honors classes with extra time? What is her keyboarding skills level - can she type without looking at the hands, and how fast?
    I sounds to me that having good work ethic is going to be very important to DD's success - so to me that means that she must have classmates and academic material where she is engaged intellectually. Why? Well, she is going to be working twice as hard to do what the other kids do, so she had better, at least, be having some fun, and getting something back from the interpersonal interactions and the academic material, yes?

Good for you for persuing it this far!
    Yippee!
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by DeeDee
    I'm surprised that the recommendations don't include direct remediation of the dyslexia and the disorder of written expression. Both of these can improve considerably with targeted therapies, and you might want both in-school and private help with them.

DeeDee

This is one of the reasons I am posting on here. What exactly am I looking for to remediate these areas? I don't know how much help I will get from the school; it's a new ballgame to me now that she has an actual diagnosis. Up until now I have been fighting to get her any sort of accommodations as she does not "fit" into the RTI model to get help. (She drops out at the 1st question, "Is the child successful?" which to the schools means making good grades & state test scores--check.)

Also, I was wondering how/if the gifted score ranges change when a child has an LD. Isn't the overall IQ score "lowered" in a sense by the areas in which the child has the disability?

I spoke with someone at my daughter's school today to let them know that I had these results & that I wanted to have a meeting to go over them. They wanted me to wait until next school year since this year is nearly over & she will be going to middle school next year. I said absolutely not--I want to have a record of her performance this year with the teachers she has worked with & the provisions they have made for her in class. I am not going into next year trying to explain what the past few years have been like. Even if we have to meet again next year to formalize her plan, I want to have a summary of her elementary school years in hand to take with me. I have had more problems trying to explain everything that has been done & not having documentation to back up those explanations...

OP Offline
    Grinity--She is currently signed up for Honors Algebra, & advanced geography, life science, language arts. Electives are to be determined. I don't yet know about gifted placement--like I asked above: Is there a difference in the way gifted scores are determined when a learning disability is involved? I need to do some research, but if anyone on this board knows where to start (particularly if you are in FL) please point it out.

Another thing that the psychologist pointed out is that dd12 is excellent at applied learning. This is such invaluable information-almost makes me want to weep with joy. It is like a key in unlocking a door for her! So we will need to try to find ways to integrate that into her learning plan. We do have some good hands-on programs in our system; I just want to keep dd from having to run all over the place to get her education.

D
    D
    Up until now I have been fighting to get her any sort of accommodations as she does not "fit" into the RTI model to get help. (She drops out at the 1st question, "Is the child successful?" which to the schools means making good grades & state test scores--check.)

Ginger, I don't know much about RTI-- you will need to really read up on the Wrightslaw website to see what your DD's rights are. I do believe that the school is NOT allowed to use RTI to delay evaluating your child for disabilities. If you haven't already requested that the school evaluate her, you should. In writing, ASAP. The school has to do its own evaluation before granting any services.

Also, I was wondering how/if the gifted score ranges change when a child has an LD.

I don't think anyone lowers the bar for a person with an LD, even if that means that some people are unfairly excluded from gifted services.

I spoke with someone at my daughter's school today to let them know that I had these results & that I wanted to have a meeting to go over them. They wanted me to wait until next school year since this year is nearly over & she will be going to middle school next year. I said absolutely not--I want to have a record of her performance this year with the teachers she has worked with & the provisions they have made for her in class. I am not going into next year trying to explain what the past few years have been like. Even if we have to meet again next year to formalize her plan, I want to have a summary of her elementary school years in hand to take with me.

Yes, pursue it with the old school for the sake of gathering as much documentation as possible, but know that it takes months and months to get a plan into place, and you won't finish the job this school year. Also contact the new school with your written request for an educational evaluation for suspected disabilities, and give them a copy your private report as evidence that the eval is necessary.

I have giant heavy duty binders in which I put every shred of evidence, including uncompleted work, complaints from teachers about failure to turn in assignments, report cards, diagnostic reports-- literally everything, organized chronologically. If you don't have a binder yet, start one-- it's useful to have.

DeeDee

like I asked above: Is there a difference in the way gifted scores are determined when a learning disability is involved?

I can't really understand what you are asking ginger - can you say it a different way, or with more examples? Srry
    Another thing that the psychologist pointed out is that dd12 is excellent at applied learning. This is such invaluable information-almost makes me want to weep with joy.
    Aww, that is so excellent!
    I just want to keep dd from having to run all over the place to get her education.
    Naugh - I would let that goal drop away - there are plenty of worse things than running all over the place to get a good fit education.

Lots of afterschool activities are also great for applied learning - Enjoy!
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    A
    A
    Regarding whether different criteria apply when there are learning disabilities involved - with scores like this, the psychologist's report should include the GAI, which is calculated without the PSI and WMI, with a statement that the GAI is a more accurate estimate of your child's intellectual abilities. If this is NOT in the report, contact the psych who did the eval and ask for it to be calculated and included. Because of the significantly discrepant scores, FSIQ is not a valid estimate of intelligence in a situation with scores like these. The school should use the GAI in place of the FSIQ in evaluating eligibility for gifted programs.

OP Offline
    Originally Posted by aculady
    Regarding whether different criteria apply when there are learning disabilities involved - with scores like this, the psychologist's report should include the GAI, which is calculated without the PSI and WMI, with a statement that the GAI is a more accurate estimate of your child's intellectual abilities. If this is NOT in the report, contact the psych who did the eval and ask for it to be calculated and included. Because of the significantly discrepant scores, FSIQ is not a valid estimate of intelligence in a situation with scores like these. The school should use the GAI in place of the FSIQ in evaluating eligibility for gifted programs.

Thanks, aculady, that answers 2 questions. I was also wondering what the GAI was & why it is not included on dd's report. I will call & ask the psychologist about that on Mon. I'm curious to see how different the scores are. (Is it possible to figure that score out on my own?)
    I did speak briefly with the counselor at dd's school this morning & she said that they will consider the score from the RIAS (131) that the school psychologist gave her earlier this year when looking at her eligibility for gifted education. According to that, she meets the standard. Of course, there are other factors involved, but that one is met.

A
    A
    BTW, the GAI for these WISC scores is 139.

WISC-IV Technical Report 4

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM