Hi,
I don�t know that I have too much to offer. My DS did not get proper placement until 4th grade in Reading/Writing. The English program is truly individualized based on his reading and writing levels. He never had acceleration in other subjects until this last year in 6th grade. DS hit ceilings on IBST/CoGat and state testing again in 5th grade. I was shocked when they gave him a grade level Math placement for 6th grade. I spoke with his Math teacher (who strongly disagreed with the placement) and found out it was the Principle�s decision. The Principle let me know it was good placement and he wasn�t changing it. I let it go over the summer... wink wink. Our school uses a Math program called ALEKS. I signed DS up and had him doing it all summer. He whipped through a couple of courses. I printed out all of his assessments, progress, and test. I called the Math coordinator for our middle school at the beginning of August. I asked to meet with her to go over his test scores and ALEKS work from the summer. She took about 30 seconds to look at the information; asked to make copies, and told me she would move him up a grade level. I was not sure it was enough but I didn�t want to push my luck. Given his 116% average for the year, I�d say it wasn�t enough. My DS took Explore for the first time this year as well. It was our first above grade level test for us. I�m feeling a little guilty now that I didn�t do it sooner. DS hit those ceiling as well. Our school has seen the scores and wants to meet in May to discuss his placement for next year. I�m guessing He will get another grade skip or 2. It was a very good tool for us to show them what our DS needs.

I try to feel out the reactions of staff to me suggesting he needs more. Sometimes I feel the resistant immediately and then I move on until I find the person who is listening to my concerns. DS does no homework and never studies for a test. I have found the staff responds more to me suggesting he has not seen new material in a given school year than to suggesting he needs more work. Anyone can certainly load him down with ridiculous amounts of work, but if he already knows the material it is worthless. Even in his Reading/Writing class where his work level is late HS/College level, He still manages to complete it all without bring it home. DS is certainly getting taught a lot in the class. Increased levels may or may not increase the workload. I would try to look for something like ALEKS program to do at home over the summer. I picked ALEKS because I knew the school was familiar with it and would know what his progress based on the reports from ALEKS. If possible, I would pick something they know well for subjects you would like to see him challenged in.

I would imagine GC understands perfect score on everything doesn�t define giftedness. Many kids under perform. I certainly would hope GC understands the rate of learning for GT kids. I would bring your Explore scores along with background information on the test in case she is not familiar with Explore. Some teachers really don�t like the smart ones and certainly don�t have a clue how challenging GT kids can be for parents. My DS has had a few them. I agree 100% on Iowa Acceleration Scale and Nation Deceived. It�s helpful information to feel informed and comfortable with the decisions for your DS. If your willing to print a gazillion pages. I'd want to drop a copy of Nation Deceived on that teacher�s desk on the last day of school. I know it's not nice. Her attitude just burns me. It�s too late to change her attitude towards him, but maybe it will help another like him. He deserves to challenged and taught new material just like every other child.
Good Luck!