Adding on to my last post:

If it makes a different we read multiple books at a time. My children, always, have at least three different chapter books going at one time, plus one or two shorter stories/comics. This is their "free" reading. For school we have eight to ten books going at once. Narration has helped them to make connections amongst their books. Connections that they have been able to apply in various scenarios.

Also, my DD (~7) will meet "The Bar" where ever it is set. At home she knows that I won't let her get away with acting like she is clueless. She is currently reading, the first book in "A Series of Unfortunate Events", Pipi Longstocking, The Wizard of Oz, Dr. Doo Little (all unabridged versions), plus an assortment of little fluff books here and there, for fun at home. When visiting with her grandparents, she can barely get through a "Biscuit" book. She reads slowly, painstakingly sounding out each words.

I am still trying to work my way around this. DD knows that she will get fawned over by the grandparents if she makes a big *show* about trying. I have mentioned it to them that she can read quite well, but they scoff, since she makes such a big production out of sounding out words in front of them. She does the same thing with other people, too. As soon, as she realizes that they expect little to nothing from her and that they are easily impressed, she adjusts her behavior accordingly.

Perhaps, your child is doing something similar.

My big concern with a child who does this, is that it may become habit: only giving the bare minimum. I am still trying to figure out ways to work around it without becoming pushy, banshee mom. I am willing to push. It just doesn get a bit tiring and frustrating, at times.

Mizzou