Thank you for the comments, Grinity.

In answer...

She is being tested using Lexile (and a second test called SRI, I think)

If given the option, she will read below her reading level

She is athletic and coordinated. She has not been tested for dyspraxia

Her friends are all her age. Some are in her gifted class and performing at her level (and, in some cases, a bit higher) and some are not in gifted and are performing below her level

We adopted her from China when she was one. She does not have sibblings.

I am not sure how to answer if she is getting her special academic needs met at school. I think she is, but am not sure I fully understand the question.

I have not read 'Why Smart Kids get poor grades?' as this is a new development for us.

She has very little interest in TV. She won't even watch a Disney show with us (leaving us to watch the show while she goes to the computer to play educational games).

She stays close to us for most of her time. She will sit at her table and draw, write, color, read, et cetera, while my wife or I will work at the computer. She will play some with Barbie's (mostly combing their hair), but only does so with us in the room. Very seldom does she go off, by herself, and play.

As to trying new things, she is very competitive. This causes her to prefer to not try, rather than try and fail. So, we mostly have to nudge/push her at the beginning. But, last year, in a drama performance, she got stage fright and started crying. We thought that was the last time on stage. But, she signed up for a singing performance this year on her own and will be singing a solo. I would have never guessed that one.