Originally Posted by Bostonian
Caplan is saying that a moderate amount of TV watching, which does give a parent time to rest, will not permanently impair a child's intellect. I think that is true.
The phrase electronic babysitter does not suggest a moderate amount of TV. In fact, in this piece, he celebrates his baby learning to watch television as a "valuable life skill." http://econlog.econlib.org/archives/2010/11/why_tv_is_great.html
Originally Posted by Caplan
Yesterday my baby acquired a valuable life skill: He learned how to watch television. I'm thrilled for at least three reasons:

1. Television is fun. I don't want my son to miss out on one of life's great pleasures.

2. Television is a cheap electronic baby-sitter that allows parents of young kids to get a much-needed break.

3. When my son is older, the threat to deprive him of television will become one of our most convenient and effective tools of discipline. The naughty corner's usually enough, but when bad behavior persists, it's time for a night without t.v.

Won't t.v. stunt my baby's cognitive development? Hardly. Twin and adoption studies find zero long-run effect on IQ of all family environment combined. Television's isn't just a drop in the bucket; it's a drop in a bucket that doesn't hold water.
He's encouraging parents to plop their babies in front of the TV because it makes it "easier for you to treat your kids well." This ignores the well documented detrimental effects television has on infants and toddlers which led the American Academy of Pediatrics to say:
Originally Posted by American Academy of Pediatrics
It may be tempting to put your infant or toddler in front of the television, especially to watch shows created just for children under age two. But the American Academy of Pediatrics says: Don't do it! These early years are crucial in a child's development. The Academy is concerned about the impact of television programming intended for children younger than age two and how it could affect your child's development. Pediatricians strongly oppose targeted programming, especially when it's used to market toys, games, dolls, unhealthy food and other products to toddlers. Any positive effect of television on infants and toddlers is still open to question, but the benefits of parent-child interactions are proven. Under age two, talking, singing, reading, listening to music or playing are far more important to a child's development than any TV show.
http://www.aap.org/sections/media/toddlerstv.htm