Originally Posted by Val
Originally Posted by JamieH
My values and feelings definitely don't like the idea of trying to purposely build a smarter population.

I wasn't advocating creating some kind of eugenics program aimed at raising IQs. I was only saying "What's so bad about smart people having more kids and increasing the number of smart people out there?" smile
I knew that and was basically agreeing with the what's so bad about smart people having more kids and increasing the number of smart people out there.

Just was adding that my values are against intentionally doing this, but my hopes are that this is the way we are going. Had nothing to do with what you said, just wanted to include my full view on this. I am willing to admit that sometimes the nicer thoughts are not always the ones leading to the best end result.

For instance, if I had 4 children and a cougar was about to attack, I would probably put myself in front of the cougar, get eaten and all four children would probably be lost. Yet a more selfish person would possibly focus on protecting themselves while trying to fend off the cougar. In this case maybe one child would be lost and the more selfish adult would still be around to protect the remaining 3 children. I would still probably make the first choice even though my reasoning tells me it might have a higher probability of a worse end result.