Originally Posted by Giftodd
she is a kid who disappears in a group, but is desperately upset when she is then passed over for the more vocal, extroverted kids.

My kid is like that. My kid had more melt-downs and frustrations when in school also. Everything changed for the better once my kid was out. The teacher made kid feel incapable of some things, but if you ask kid, kid loved the teacher and trusted the teacher's kindness. frown

Trust your gut. Something about this is bothering you. Believe yourself. This isn't really going to work for your DD.

When you are not there, teachers say things, as sweetly as they say it, some of those things just aren't right for our gifted kids. We can't expect teachers to understand our gifted kids because they've never seen one nor can they believe it -- it is hard for parents to believe just how gifted their kids are, and we're taught not to brag, etc etc -- so you are really the only one who "gets" her and is her safe haven.

Often my kid would need to de-stress afterschool and on weekends. No other extra activities -- real calm and quiet time. There would be sit down time during snack where the things that happened at school can be discussed.

Do you have spring break? Or can you pull her out a Fri/Mon and get a long weekend so you can have more time with her and have her settle down and you can see how she is feeling?

Gifted kids are asynchronous. Even though she is able grade in many areas, her emotions and how to manage them, etc could be like a 4.5 yr old, or a 6 year old one day, and a 9 year old another.

smile Best wishes!

ps. If possible, don't wait till the end of the year. We waited and regretted it extremely. The extra months staying there was damaging to our child.

Last edited by jesse; 03/24/11 12:04 AM. Reason: ps.