Thanks you so much! I am meeting with the teacher next week, and I do think I need to spend more time researching what a good "game plan" should be. We are at a small catholic school, so there is no "gifted" programming available per se, but in the teachers' defense, she has really gone above and beyond in providing challenging work for the kids. They (as a 2nd grade group) are exceptionally bright -- so she has taken note and started a math league where a subset of the kids (but really almost a majority of them) meet an hour before school once a week to work on accelerated math, and she has also adjusted her math curriculum so that they are now doing mostly what would be considered 3rd grade work. I guess that is why I am so baffled by the lack of growth given the fact that he is really in a pretty ideal teaching dynamic, especially in comparison with previous years? There is a "Title 1" teacher at the school who meets with kids who are having a hard time keeping up. I am not familiar with Title 1, but maybe that is a resource that the school should be employing for the kids that are adequately challenged as well? I also think that your suggestion to augment at home might be the most realistic solution. Thanks again for your post, any additional ideas are very welcome!!