I think this is an indication that he is not getting an opportunity to learn *anything* at school. It seems that he started out the year near the 95th percentile for second grade, and simply stayed there. I would be calling for more challenge, pronto. Are you doing anything with him in reading and math at home? That can sometimes be a short-term solution, particularly if the social fit with age peers is good and your child is otherwise happy at school.

I think it doesn't say much for the teacher that she thinks it is okay to simply not teach anything to a child in her class. Your son should have the opportunity for instruction which allows him to make at least a year's worth of progress in a year. Her comment which stated that if he were *really gifted*, he would find a way to make classwork interesting when it teaches him nothing is, IMO, completely inappropriate and shows a profound lack of knowledge about giftedness and a profound disrespect for children. How is it remotely okay for her to waste his time like this?

That said, if your son is going to remain at this school, you need to be diplomatic in how you raise this issue, and communicate with a focus on how you can help the school solve *their* concerns and problems with respect to providing additional challenge. Don't use the word "bored", BTW - you can say that he feels distressed or left out that he doesn't have a chance to learn new things like the other children do, that it is affecting his self-esteem - but "bored" seems to be interpreted as a child wanting or expecting to be entertained.

Go in with a clear idea of what you believe he needs, and with ways for the school to give him that that are free or low cost, and which do not require the teacher to do significant additional work. Could you provide the teacher with more challenging workbooks for your son to do in class? You could even offer to score them so all the teacher has to do is record the grades. Could he go to the next grade up for reading and math time, while still staying officially in the same grade? These are some options that might address the issues you see that would not require any real effort or expense on the part of the school.