Back again on the same topic.....

We received a note from DS7's teacher asking to meet with us. She said that she thinks DS7 finds it to be too hard on him to get his work done, and that he just sits instead of doing it. She also said he's the only one who is being given differentiated Language Arts work who can't finish it.

We had him tested a couple weeks ago, and are due to meet with the psych tomorrow to go over her findings. I filled out an ADD assessment at her request, but in retrospect since I suspect I may likely be somewhat ADD myself, I may have been a poor choice to fill it out. His behavior doesn't seem odd to me, but maybe my baseline for odd isn't standard. We elected not to have the teacher involved at this point, mostly because I don't get that warm fuzzy IYKWIM.

I asked DS7 why he's unable to finish his differentiated work, and he told me that before he gets that, he has to finish his rather hefty regular language arts packet. Since he rarely finishes that, as I described in the original post, he has no time to work on the other. Apparently, the other kids aren't having this problem.

Any suggestions for how to politely request that he be able to test out of these packets?

I think it is possible that DS may suffer from mild ADD, or that it's masked to some degree by GT'ness. But it seems to me like IF that is the case, he shouldn't need to be medicated at 7yo, if the only real issue is that he can't focus on inappropriately challenging work.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. (Be gentle -- it's been a rough couple months. Nothing bad, just too many little things piling up.) Thanks for being here.