Originally Posted by annaliisa
DD perceives any kind of instruction as criticism.

Wow, that's my dd10 to a "T." She is so hard for me to teach anything b/c she gets so angry and defensive and constantly interrupts me. It is a real test of my patience! I am still working on letting her talk and explain what she's doing even if it makes no sense to me. I'm also still working on getting her to be polite and give me a minute to explain another way. It is an ongoing challenge, though.

I also flip back and forth on the possibility of 2E. I keep putting it off because of the cost.
If you are going to invest the $, just make sure that you test with someone with a lot of experience with 2e not just disabilities. We tested twice -- once with a psych grad student who was monitored by the head of the psych dept (he watched the testing and oversaw the scoring). Dd came out EG/PG (99.9) on the WISC that time, but they didn't see any indication of 2e even with her school achievement being below ability. At the time, she was on an upswing achievement wise so we figured it was underachievement and went with that. The professor had some experience with gifted, but I don't know about 2e.

We then re-tested a year later with a psych who had experience with LD but not so much so with giftedness. On the same IQ test, she was now MG. Again, the psych told us no LD and the earlier scores were likely wrong. Even with very high highs (99.9) and much lower lows pulling the total # down, we were told there was no problem and that she didn't recommend putting dd into GT programming b/c she didn't need it.

Two years down the road as things continued not to improve, we had her see a psych with no further testing who dx her with ADD and an anxiety disorder. This one is more familiar with 2e and gifted. She suggests that we retest dd yet again b/c she thinks that she might be PG and qualify for something like DYS. We're not sure that dd is that high and aren't retesting at this point, but maybe someday. We'll see.