Hi

I've decided to completely rewrite this post! I find that when I write in the middle of the night it just doesn't make sense, sorry to those who took the time to read the original...

Essentially, I have some questions because I tend to flip flop on my impressions of DD7. Things get really murky with her perfectionism and our homeschooling dynamic. I'm hoping that those with more knowledge/experience can shed some light. My first question is, does giftedness 'level off'? In other words, once a child finds a level of appropriate challenge do things slow down a bit? My second question is have you ever overestimated or under underestimated your child's ability? This is where my flip flopping comes into play. My DD really likes things to be super easy and is very resistant to challenging herself. I generally believe that she is capable of more demanding work, but because she gets so upset if she makes ANY mistakes, she prefers to work on things that she doesn't need to put much thought into. I don't push her because it always ends in disaster and so she just 'coasts' along. And then comes my flop... maybe this work is challenging enough and I am overestimating her abilities... and then back to the flip... my gut reaction is that she is capable of more. So, my next question is, do I trust my mommy instinct? DD has not been assessed and so I don't have any numbers. I would love to hear your thoughts on this all.

Annaliisa

And... sorry that this is posted in under 'elementary', I should been in another section. I wasn't able to change it. blush

Last edited by annaliisa; 02/19/11 08:45 PM.