Originally Posted by Grinity
Hi OTGmom,
If Aleks is already availible in school, I would call the Aleks people and find out if there is a special switch the teacher should press to allow your DS to move ahead after 3 correct problems like we did at home. Also - ask them how to allow the teacher to Allow your son to take one of their assesments - perhaps at the next grade level up - to see where he is on their schema.
Switching is ok, but better to see if you can tweak what you already have, yes?

Love and More LOve,
Grinity

I did call Aleks people and they never mentioned anything about the settings. I will try them again to ask your question. The teacher says she is not familiar with the program and has dropped promoting it. Aleks people told me it only takes an hour to get familiar. I have also thought he should move up a grade but no one seems to agree. At this point he has a bad attitude with Aleks and he would need a teacher to promote it and help him. The teacher also feels he is not proactive enough about keeping himself moving on independent projects, which I have seen at home. He learns well on his own but can get stalled not taking charge.

They admit the regular class pace is too slow for DS but don't seem to be able to do anything about it. I may have hit a wall with this Math. DS has a C in Math this semester and he should be a A student.

Next year, if this all stays the same. We will have the same problem. The teacher says all the students are going the same pace. I have a talented math student that seems to be losing interest. How sad.

Last edited by onthegomom; 02/22/11 04:12 AM.