I'm the ALEKS administrator for my school and I'm not sure what you mean by "going along with the class." Unless the teacher is manually resetting ALEKS, this just doesn't happen. Your DS would take an assessment at the beginning of logging into ALEKS the first time. From that assessment, the software fills in a pie based on what he already knows, needs to know or wasn't tested.

Once a child has completed 85% of the pie (unless the school set it lower) then the teacher receives an email from ALEKS saying it's time to move to the next level, where the whole assessment starts over again for the new grade/course.

If he hypothetically completed 85% of 6th grade and the teacher re-placed him in 6th grade again, he'd take an assessment. If he finished 85% or close to it, ALEKS would email again saying the child is ready to move up.

It sounds like based on your explanation that he maybe needs to move to the next class? But I'm still not sure how he has anything left to do in ALEKS and the teacher didn't reassign him.