Originally Posted by JBDad
Alcumus / AoPS : Much, much better. It's still problem-focused in that you're given a problem to solve but there are a couple of things that make it better. First, it's a much better interface IMO. More usable. Second, you rate the question. Third, you also rate the explanation of the answer. For an auto-didactic, once you get them started they can basically go at their own pace on autopilot. There are nifty "quests" that you go on for fun. Some of them are random and some are focused on solving given problems. DS loves it. Oh, and it's free.

Ok, I just bookmarked the Khan Academy website as something we might find useful, but the AoPS appears to be pretty pricey, not free -- am I missing something?

We do like ALEKS, although I agree that it is not much on explanations and heavy on problems. DS8 is finishing up 7th grade level in his ALEKS with the school. If the school has an account, you can get ALEKS for $40/year, as opposed to the $20/month price for it as an individual. Our school pays for it out of their GT budget.