Originally Posted by Mama22Gs
Originally Posted by JaneSmith
Seems inappropriate to try and spring a completely inexperienced 16 y.o. on a group of other volunteers.

I thought the same thing, and then I asked myself -- isn't that exactly what we're talking about here? Why is it inappropriate to spring a completely inexperienced 16yo on a group of volunteers? I am not 16, but would also be COMPLETELY inexperienced from a building a house kind of perspective. How's it different?

JS, I really hope you don't take offense. I mean it only as food for thought.

Just to add, and again, not to offend. I had my first real job (other than babysitting) at age 14. It was the legal work age then. I remember moving up to the job(s) that a 16 year old can do and being so excited - one job was as a fryer, and the other, eventually, was working at McDs. I was inexperienced at both jobs, but was trained by staff and other workers.

And as someone who has lived and has family in the birthplace of Habitat, it's probably one of the best organizations to gain those skills. People who receive those homes have to work on them as well, and 90% have no house building, painting, hammering skills. They won't give a 16 year old circular saw duties right off the bat, but they will throw a shovel or paint brush in his/her hands. Even if a new skill isn't learned, it teaches volunteerism, pride, accomplishment, work ethic, etc...

I wish they actually took volunteers earlier. I would love for DC to be a part of that!

Edited to add: Not all the people on a HH build are volunteers. While most are, they do have a paid/experienced "foreman".

They organize the builds into different weeks as well. They have builders one week, painters the next, gardeners the following, etc...

Last edited by JJsMom; 01/25/11 10:51 AM. Reason: I always have more to add...