Had a conversation with my college roommate last night. She teaches high school and she was commented how incompetent kids have become at simple tasks.

She said that they cannot do for themselves because parents are always doing for them. It made me think. She mentioned as an example that a child asked for something and she told them it was in a certain drawer, he came back and said it wasn't, she said yes it was, and again same thing. She went over to the drawer -- which he had only pulled out halfway and pulled it out further and showed him the item. She said things like that happen frequently and never happened 10 years ago. It is like children are so coddled and never have a chance to truly fend for themselves and figure it out.

As much as Americans talk about the ingenuity of Americans, yet creativity quotients are declining, perhaps parents are to blame for destroying their children's ingenuity.

It made me think I do too much and let DD fend more for herself in doing stuff. Though it would take forever to get out the door in the morning for school. But I know my mother did not get me out the door for school by 1st grade. I did it myself and I went to school -- down the path, with other kids in the neighborhood.

Anyway, it made me think so I posted.

Ren