I checked a few Canadian/Quebec sites on dyslexia and the only approach I see mentioned is called EMS :�enseignement multisensoriel simultan� (EMS), bas� sur l�approche Orton-Gillingham" (a multi-sensory approach based on Orton-Gillingham). It also seems from these Canadian sites that most of the professionals providing interventions for dyslexic children are speech therapists.

I will call the S&L therapist and ask her for more details about what she is planning to do during her sessions with DS. If you don't mind, I might post again if I have questions about her approach.

Regarding a more thorough evaluation (WISC, achievement tests, etc), I am hesitant to do this. I found the process very stressful when I did it for DS10 -- I get focussed on the numbers and anxious. For DS10, I felt like the testing was needed because I was really confused about what was going on with him (still am). At this point, I think I have a good estimate of my younger son's abilities in my mind, and I'd rather assume that he is dyslexic and get him some help. I guess this might sound irrational, but there it is!