My DS6 was recently given a test of visual perceptual skills (TVPS) to see if it is the cause of his difficulties with learning to read. Does anyone have any input on the results below? The OT who administered the test said that since he was in the average to low average range, he shouldn�t require any special accommodations in this area to be able to learn to read. She told me that average is anywhere between the 16th and 84th percentile. I find this confusing, as below the 50th percentile, more than half the children his age would do better than this � why is the 16th percentile considered average? Do any of these results point to a vision or tracking problem?

A. Visual discrimination (ability to recognize similar forms): average 25th percentile

B. Visual memory (ability to immediately remember characteristics of a form and be able to identify it when it is grouped with other similar forms: high average 63rd percentile

C. Sequential memory (ability to immediately remember a series of forms and be able to identify it when it is grouped with other similar series: low average (16th percentile)

D. Spatial relationships (ability to understand and use the concepts of spatial position such as above, below, beside, in front, etc): average (37th percentile)

E. Figure �ground discrimination (ability to distinguish the figure from the background and focus on an object): low average (16th percentile)

F. Consistency of form (ability to recognize similar forms despite changes in size and position): low average (16th percentile)

G. Visual closure (ability to mentally complete an incomplete form): average (25th percentile)

He also recently had a partial evaluation with a speech therapist to look at areas that might affect reading. He was above average on working memory, and average to above average on putting sounds together to form words verbally. The area where he was weak was on rapid naming (not sure of the official name as he took the test in French). This was a test where he had to �read� lists of colored shapes (e.g. red triangle, blue square, etc). He tested about 1.5 to 2 years below his chronological age on this test.

Background on DS: seems to be a bright child, likes math and has a good memory, vocabulary and understanding. He has motor dyspraxia (problems with fine and gross motor skills) and hypotonia. He reached all his motor milestones late. He is having a lot of trouble learning how to read. I have noted issues with word recall from an early age. It took him forever to remember the color �yellow� � he called it �the color of the sun� for a very long time. It�s like he has the concept in his head but can�t get the word out.

Any advice from those with knowledge of dyslexia and/or vision issues?