Thank you Mich -- very helpful links, I've already looked at a couple of them. They made me think that I'm doing the right thing by not adopting a "wait and see" attitude to reading. The ones about special ed. process and laws might not be relevant for me though as we live in Canada.

I'm not sure about doing more testing right now (except maybe the opthomologist). The speech therapist only did a portion of the testing she usually does for language LDs and did not provide a written report -- she said that he does show signs of dyslexia (which I knew) and that we would be better to spend our money on therapy than on a complete work up with report, unless we need it for school (we don't this year as he is in Montessori and there are no IEPs or anything like that).

I'm open to hearing the other side of the argument though -- what is the advantage of more testing right now rather than just working on OT and speech therapy? To me he seems to have good organization, attention and social skills. His issues seem to be really dsypraxia/dyslexia.