thanks to all for your thoughts, i really appreciate it. There is no lurking LD, though I wondered if there were an auditory processing problem for a while -- none found. I do think that it is an unfortunate confluence of dd's perfectionism, a teacher whose style is very loose (often assigns questions without assigning the appropriate reading, takes essay prompts word for word from SparkNotes, does not provide clear instructions...) issues threats as a regular part of the day "if you don't do your best work on this you will have to do it again, and get a lower grade" and NO scaffolding dd into the program. Teacher is one of those GT teachers who makes a great impression because she teaches bright kids...does not provide structure or skills, yet expects them...

Sadly, MANY elite private school DO NOT provide programs for GT. They say they move at a faster pace, but in my very exclusive CT suburb, there is not a private school (for $31-34k per year), that can deal with GT kids. They have so many bright enough kids with issues, and big $$$...so no time (or resources) for GT.

We do have an acceleration recommendation...and I now regret not doing it. We made some major life transitions recently, and did not want to add additional pressure....perhaps a bad move on our part.

I will continue to scaffold, praise, hold dd responsible, and try not to kill the teacher, who is sucking the motivation and love of learning out of my kid!!