Originally Posted by lizzienel
My DD is age nine. She is now in the GT program at her new public school.... Her previous (very exclusive private school) had NOTHING for advanced learners, and she was bored to death(another story)....
We're facing a real dilema. After years of being the smartest kid in the class (and the class clown) she is now insecure, unsure of her abilities, and shuts down when it comes time to do the more challenging work and homeowrk she has LONGED for for 5years!!!
Welcome Lizzienel!
I would be sympathetic - up to a point - and provide scaffold at home - for now - but I would find some way (incentive, bribe, telling stories of when you faced similar challenges) to keep her in that classroom. Praise her for her bravery, effort, and every slightest initiative you see. (See 'Transforming the Difficult Child' by Howard Glasser for more) I'm hoping that next year will be a different teacher.

Everytime she whines it will break your heart - BUT - keep remembering that it's better to learn this NOW than to coast into college and be all on ones own to face 'THE WALL!'

You get to be totally pleased that she is getting the chance to break her bad habits now. You can even appologise that you 'let her down' by not finding this sort of environment sooner, and say that since you failed as a parent, you are willing to sit with her as she does her homework until she learns how to do it herself. Just continue to smile your secrete smile and project a confidence you may have to pretend. She is really lucky to have this opportunity. She's a kid and allowed to complain, but not to quit!

Smiles,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com