Originally Posted by AlexsMom
Yes, what kcab said.
My son cried for 20 minutes at age 9 about a wrong that I think was done to him 3 years previous in Math class.

The class was working on perimiter for it's 6th week, and DS was telling me that he hated math. I sprang into action, and actually bought the handbook 'algebra to go' as part of my Public Relations for Math program. He was eating a snack and I was 'just skimming' through my new book. He peaked over my shoulder. There he saw a picture of a fraction that had a fraction in the denominator.

He cried for 20 minutes. This was very unusal for him at the time - he was a big proponent of the 'boy code.' I was upset myself, and tried to figure out what he was talking about between his sobs.

'She said you couldn't......cry......She said you couldn't.....cry'

To make a long story short, apparently his 1st grade teacher told the class that one couldn't put a fraction in the denominator of a fraction. I'm guessing that this was in response to a question DS had proposed, because the other kids in there couldn't even grasp counting by 10. ((I found that shocking at the time))

There is something about Math, particularly elemantary school Math that just seeems like it 'must' be black and white, right or wrong.

Maybe homeschooling math or online math in the library during math time, or getting someone else to grade DD's tests?

MON, This is a tough one. 8 is 8.

Love and More Love,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com