Originally Posted by Kerry
While we are happy that she has started to get the chance to pre-test out of topics she already knows, it is pretty discouraging that she is the only one in a class of 18 to be able to do so.

Yes, that is frustrating. The harsh realization of how gifted she is can be difficult to swallow at times I am sure. We have been there too : ) DS6 isn't in a gifted school or anything, but even if he were we would be going through the same thing. The standard gifted curriculum isn't geared towards HG/PG kids. So...I wonder if they could keep her in 3rd grade but just do subject acceleration in another older class. That is what DS6 does. He has had one grade skip and 2 more skips into a 4th grade class for math. For reading they have not skipped him into another class, just does some more individualized work and comprehension stuff in the classroom. We may have to change that in the future but we will discuss that at the next conference. Again, he is gifted accross the board as well but it is nice because he is still able to stay with kids closer to his age for specials and lunch, etc.

And about the school not looking at her scores beforehand, I know some teachers hate looking at that information beforehand and would rather see firsthand what students can do. They are afraid it will cloud their perception of the student. I find that pretty absurd, but working in schools I have heard that several times. And some just don't look at any of the stuff from previous schools.

I hope your relationship with the school stays good and that you are able to continue to advocate and that they will be open to new things : )