Originally Posted by Adrienne
I never thought about it being difficult to advocate in a school that serves more GT children....
All I can say is that it really depends on the view/perception of "GT" of the school and staff. We enrolled our son to a public GT magnet school for a semester. The admission uses IQ or achievement test results. There are also 2 other YSers in the same class, though we never identified DS as such to anyone. The school has his IQ scores, as well as his off-the-chart IBST (conducted there) results. But he was miserable over there. We were "suggested" to get him on meds. He was not challenged academically, and was scorned upon as not exactly following the instruction for going above and beyond for the homework. Teachers never truly addressed the teasing situation.

Aren't we glad that we moved him back to our neighbourhood school district and got teachers who really understand the different needs of DS. When there are teachers who really appreciate the ability of such kids and approach the work accordingly, it is a true blessing; and they are not necessary in GT schools.

More than once, I felt I was failing DS, because I was discouraged by the "wall" put up by the teacher/administrator to my request. But seeing DS' progress at home has always made me go back and try again. Little steps do add up. Yes, let me say that advocating still stinks, but it does get easier; however, it never ends. Keep at it, you will get there. And as others have already stated, this is a totally awesome group of people here who understand and support each other.