Originally Posted by Katelyn'sM om
We have had a few conversations in the past about the top notch school districts and how sometimes they are not the best fit for HG+ kids. Many kids in these districts are gifted, but moderately gifted and the district seems to think what works for the masses of their gifted kids works for all which is just not the case.]
I'd actually venture to say that it isn't that many of the kids in these districts are gifted; it's that many of the kids in these districts are high achievers who are wrongly identified as gifted. We, too, live in a district with much higher than state avg test scores where huge numbers of kids are ided as gifted. While my dds are probably more than MG, I'm not ready to say that they are so far out there gifted that they shouldn't be able to work with a classroom where a lot of the kids are MG. That might be a reasonable fit for at least one of them. Even one of the GT coordinators at a school dd12 has attended told me straight up that most of the kids who are in GT programming and ided as gifted aren't actually gifted but rather kids who score around the 95th percentile on grade level reading or math tests.

Seeing how huge the difference btwn these kids and dds is, I'd tend to agree that we don't have some unusual location where a lot of kids are gifted but rather an unusual lot of kids who are called gifted b/c they perform above the minimal grade level expectations. It's kind of a pet peeve of mine b/c it shouldn't be so hard to get the needs of my MG-HG kids met. I don't think that dd12, for instance, would need to be entering high school next year if the schools were better able to serve the needs of low end HG kids without the types of steps we've had to take to keep her learning a little something in at least one or two subjects.