Originally Posted by Val

On the other hand, I think it's important to remember that high achieving isn't necessarily gifted. And just because you're gifted doesn't mean you're going to be a super-high achiever. This is okay. It also goes back to my post in this thread about "genius" --- namely, just because you have a high IQ doesn't mean you have some kind of obligation to become a famous <insert occupation> and that you haven't lived up to your potential if you don't.
Agreed

Originally Posted by Val
Some people have a drive to do something significant, and that's great. And I think that drive is a quality that's internal: it can't be put there because of parental wishes or because of a teacher's opinion about potential, or anything else. Others can nurture it or damage it, but no one can put it there (and, sometimes, no one can take it away).

Here is some research and thoughts on this topic of being driven: Angela Duckworth calls it Grit: Perseverance and passion for long-term goals. Duckworth Research & apers - Grit etc.

Originally Posted by Val
It occurs to me that leading "contented lives" (as was said earlier in this thread and in other places) could, in a way, be a situation that's easier to attain if you're gifted. And that's okay too.
Agreed. plus there is also the possibility that someone will be driven to contribute in a way that happens one-on-one and/or is not public

also Grit - Can perseverance be taught? Tedtalk(video)