Originally Posted by Val
On the other hand, I think it's important to remember that high achieving isn't necessarily gifted. And just because you're gifted doesn't mean you're going to be a super-high achiever. This is okay. It also goes back to my post in this thread about "genius" --- namely, just because you have a high IQ doesn't mean you have some kind of obligation to become a famous <insert occupation> and that you haven't lived up to your potential if you don't.

You have honed in on one of my pet peeves. Are we saying that you need to do something noteworthy that gains public attention to be successful and live up to that "genius potential"? Just because someone is leading a contented, "ordinary" life doesn't mean that they aren't doing something extraordinary. I assume many of these "contented" geniuses are finding creative solutions to problems at their schools, places of business and their communities. These ordinary things don't get published or recorded. They don't garner the attention of the Nobel committee but they still have value.