I requested that my son be considered for a subject acceleration in math. His current math placement is VERY inappropriate.

We received a response from the principal stating that because the school is participating in the Methods of Effective Teaching Study sponsored by the Gates Foundation that no student can be moved once they are placed for the year.

But they had his test scores (all at 99%) and never considered him for alternative placement. Additionally, I tried to contact the school last year to get clarification on the curriculum, but nobody ever called me back.

Is anybody else in this situation? Does anyone have a contact involved in this study (I am afraid my email will get lost in the shuffle)? Anyone know anything about the general philosphy of the Gates Foundation? I know they have gotten some so-so press lately, but I don't think this is an issue that will get too many people fired up, so trying to puplicize it won't help. Anyone have any ideas?

I forwarded the response from the school to the Gates Foundation with the following note:

As explained in the email chain below, we have been informed that our son�s math placement is inflexible due to his school�s participation in the Methods of Effective Teaching Study sponsored by the Gates Foundation.

We have not been remiss in seeking appropriate placement for our son. Prior to the end of the 2009-2010 school year I contacted XXXXX Elementary and asked that a faculty member contact me regarding the school�s curriculum, but I never heard back. Very shortly after the start of the school year my husband and I met with my son�s math teacher and the gifted coordinator and this restriction was not mentioned.

I think it is very unfortunate that the Gates Foundation is inadvertently placing us in a position where we have to consider removing our son from this school mid-year, but I am confident this is an unintended consequence which can be resolved. Could someone please contact me on this can be achieved? It is very likely that there are other children in other schools who may be having their educations compromised as well. It seems obvious that it is in everyone�s interest, especially the students�, to resolve this as quickly as possible.