I think the resource question is a good one. I consider outside activities extremely important to our ability to homeschool.

My oldest went to 2 years of public school and at the end of the 2nd year, he just didn't seem himself at all. He had constant stomach aches and head aches, was always tired and stressed. He kept asking his first grade teacher to give him harder math (so did I). My child is not 2E, but he is asynchronous. He enjoys peers socially. At the time, he wasn't the best candidate for a grade skip nor was I prepared to fight the battle I would have had to wage to get it. Now, after 2 years of homeschool and 2 rounds of open ended achievement testing, now he's just not the best candidate to be placed back into any school we have available to us locally. He's obviously thriving on EVERY level. My youngest is just in first grade and she is a very confident and social kid. She was so emotional her 2nd year of preschool because of inadequate fit.

I strongly feel public school does not have a monopoly on teaching tolerance or social skills. Homeschooling isn't for every family, but it has been a great fit for us so far. I'm all for teaching kids stick-to-it-iveness, but there are many ways to achieve that.