I just believe that I have a calling. Not trying to be arrogant, but I am good at what I do. Like anyone, I make mistakes and those 10 year olds told me so today!!! That made me smile because they are not afraid to ask me to look at something that I have done. Those are the skills the bright kids need taught. (Needless to say, I often have to shed some light on being tactful. It doesn't bother me, but the next teacher isn't quite so open. Plus rudeness is not accepted!!!)

I hope that I am always seeking to be the best for them, but approachable by all. There are days that I would absolutely walk away and never look back-----until one of them smiles and reminds me why I'm there. That perfect blend. I have every level in my classroom of 28 (including a child with severe emotional issues) but my greatest achievement, I think, is that each one sees the others as an equal part of the team. Some just have a little more insight than others and often find that they don't have to put as much effort into the general studies areas that are new to all of them. For some reason, Indiana History is just a lot easier to understand for those high ability kids. The really cool thing is that they sometimes think of the best way to get their peers to understand. Try as I might, I cannot think like some 4th graders.

Anyway, thanks for the compliments. I just happen to love seeing those AHA! moments.

Since this is an "extracurricular activities" discussion, may I suggest that you look into this site and see if there is a summer camp near you?
www.campinvention.org

This was probably the biggest key in reigniting my passion for gifted education. It is not billed as a gifted program, but there are so many components that are vital to a good program. You will find "regular" kids there. I could become a walking commercial for the organization. After bringing it to my school last year, we are pumped and ready for year number two. There was absolutely no doubt that we would be a host site again. I didn't even have to beg the superintendent and school board this year. The kids that I took to the board meeting pretty much guaranteed continued approval. (The supt. simply said, "You know that you will have many more kids next year!! Be prepared.") By the way, last year's participants are our BILLBOARDS this year. Their enthusiasm and excitement are selling the program to those students not involved last year. We had trouble getting kids to leave at the end of a day last summer and even "lost" one child when he went back to a classroom to "get" something. He really just wanted to continue working on a project and was leaning down in the classroom and wouldn't answer the instructor calling his name. Knowing he was in one of two rooms that are side by side, the teacher found him adding touches to his "roller coaster."