I am a public school teacher with an endorsement in GT. However, I have been in the general education classroom for 15 years. I have used my training to work with my advanced fourth graders, but my school is beginning to move back to identifying students for a yet to be determined program. I know that I could recognize a gifted kindergarten student, but we have to have a formal ID in place.
This is where you come in. As parents, I hear you talking about IQ tests, but what did your schools use for ID? Were you given any checklists that were included in the ID process or was just formal testing used?
I feel very comfortable identifying the intermediate child and defending that placement, but have to admit that I have little experience with the younger students and that part of this process worries me.
Since I am the only teacher in my building with "formal" training in gifted education, I am the person being looked to for this guidance and that is ONE scary thought since it has been so long since I have really dealt with "gifted education" per se.
What would you, as parents, be comfortable with the school using in the ID procedure? (Of course, then we have to come up with the best programming model.)
I love teaching and find it a challenge to meet the needs of all students, but this task is really taking me out of my comfort zone!!!
I would really appreciate any insight you have as parents of gifted children.

Last edited by Just ducky; 02/06/08 11:20 PM. Reason: wording correction