Originally Posted by alee31
HI! Our DS went to Montessori at age three and loved it. Because he was reading, etc. he could do most of what the older children were doing, but the teacher usually would not let him.

Age age four...he completely lost his little spark. We finally figured out he had "been there/done that" at Montessori. Three years in the same classrom is NOT a good fit for him. He was bored out of his mine. I observed him just wandering around the room most of the time when he was supposed to be doing his "work" on several occasions. Thus, the "your child must have a special need that I must diagnose" phase of his early education began with the teacher.

Needless to say, we pulled him out and his little spark came back rather quickly. smile

This is exactly what happened to our DS7 - he was in the Montessori school for 3 years and by age 4.5 everything went downhill - he would come home saying he couldn't find anything to do and when I was in the room, I saw him wandering around during work time. The teacher would try to pull him into an activity but everything was "been there, done that" for him and he wanted more, more, more. His spark for learning went down the tube and we ended up pulling and we saw a huge change in him within a few months after taking him out - for the better!